Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be rebuilding an old Warn 8274 that's been in the family since the '70s pretty soon and have been doing a bit of research. I am going to do all the wear parts, brake assy, and new cable but it is the solenoid pack that I have questions about. I could get some HD golf cart units and replace the factory design. I keep reading of folks using the one piece Albright units (and was going to try one out myself) and now I've ran across the Runva 500a version. I intend to mount whatever I go with under the hood or possibly under the bumper, either way I don't want it mounted to the motor. I'm trying to clean up the winch's profile and give better airflow to the grill. I don't run competitions so I won't be using it day in and day out, but my rig is fairly heavy (4BT Cummins, ZF S5, 205TC, full width 8 lug axles, H1 Humvee wheels and 37" tires, armored body, custom HD bumpers with fullsize spare). I'm not a rock crawler, but tend more toward woods/mud trails. I'm a good driver, so when I'm stuck it tends to have more of a bind to pull out of than just hauling the vehicles weight up the side of hill. I know the 4 solenoid setup is pretty proven and reliable from personal exp-its just messy. I'm looking for the best reliability and load carrying ability.

So what is the web world's opinion on which is better? and why?

a) Factory 4 solenoid design

b) Albright solenoid

c) RUNVA contactor (solenoid)

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I have had the Runva contactor on my m8000 for a year now and am very pleased with it so far. Not really enough time to say if it will last the long-run though.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've also been running the runva contactor on my 8274 for over a year. Works great

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any one mind posting a pic of their wiring? Running a wireless remote?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. what does the large red circle with the black dots in the upper right of the diagram signify?

·
P.B.A.
4,376 Posts
I have had the Runva contactor on my m8000 for a year now and am very pleased with it so far. Not really enough time to say if it will last the long-run though.
I've also been running the runva contactor on my 8274 for over a year. Works great
Just picked up a xd9000i with a bad solenoid. How have the runva solenoids been holding up?

·
Registered
146 Posts
That's weird never seen a diagram with that. Could be a kill switch or supposed to show ignition switch.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Just picked up a xd9000i with a bad solenoid. How have the runva solenoids been holding up?
I've used runva units on several winches. A bunch of locals use them too, I haven't heard of any failures.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I used a Runva solenoid on my M12 on my power wagon when the solenoids shit the bed. Relocated it up off the winch onto the rad cradle and was able to stuff it into the original Warn solenoid box. Been there for 3 years and works every time I need it to.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Still running the same runva contactor with no problems and lots of hard use

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
I haven't really done any comparing or pricing, but I know Gigglepin's got a bunch of parts for the 8274 too:
Warn 8274 Service & Upgrade Parts

I need to rebuild my winch here soon and will be looking into it more later, but remember looking at their site after seeing them out at KOH last year...

·
P.B.A.
4,376 Posts
So I wasn't thinking about how large this thing would be. I needed it to fit in my xd9000i. Ain't going to happen. So I'll be returning it and just getting a regular solenoid.

For reference Dimensions for the runva contractor are

4"x3.5"x2.5"

Thanks for everyone's input.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Does an xd9000 only take a single solenoid?
Cause my contactor is definitely smaller than a solenoid pack for an 8274.

·
P.B.A.
4,376 Posts
Does an xd9000 only take a single solenoid?
Cause my contactor is definitely smaller than a solenoid pack for an 8274.
It would fit inside the control box on an 8274 or say my m8000. But the solenoids on "I" series winches are all in a row. So it won't fit. I thought about keeping it and just robbing solenoids out of my m8000.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts