Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been searching the pirate and the webz for the best winch thimble / hook / shackle / clevis solution. So far I've come up with this little sweetheart, the Factor 55 Ultrahook.

It's super bling, and terribly expensive. Is there another do-it-all solution I'm missing? I've driven cars that cost less than this thing.
That said, if this is the solution, I'll buy it and run it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm scared. That's looks like a good chunk of weight ready to hurt somebody. Our group has given up on everything metal on our winch lines. We use soft shackles and tree savers on all our ropes.

The soft shackles will fit around most frames, can connect them together if needed. Never fails that we need to do a side pull to stabilize for a tire change or pull someone off a rock/tree/mud hole.

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
I'm not a pussy and still use wire rope and steel attachments but honestly, that thing looks like some sort of overly expensive, tacticool nonsense for a winch. I can see it maybe being useful but how is that thing going to be any better than my swivel hook?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yup Yup!! Rope on rope for every connection. Pulled the hooks off our winch lines and slid the soft shackles in place. Don't have to pull your winch in taught to keep you hook in place. Just use shackle to stinger or bumper or whatever. Your winch bitch can flip lever on winch, unhook shackle and run to connect.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've never heard the term 'tacticool', but that perfectly describes what I see here. I like the basic premise of being able to have both a hook AND a clevis mount on the winch line. But all the markings, arrows, rubber, CNC work, ....bling......price......just not sure I'm fully on board.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've never used a soft shackle. I've considered getting one....just haven't. I could buy 10 soft shackles for the price of the Factor 55 Ultrahook. I could probably have 25 soft shackles for that much if I learned how to tie them!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Easy to loose in grass or mud, buy a bright color. About 1' long when ends not connected.

Can cut on sharp edges just like winch rope.

OP, I can see a great idea with that metal hook, loot of ways to connect. I just get scared hooking to another guys rig and relying on his welds. I will help anyone that is stuck but let me make sure everybody safe in case of failure.

·
Banned
3,587 Posts
Steel wire rope, steel thimble, steel hook. If you want something else on the end then put it on a short length of chain or cable and attach it to the hook.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Short story,

Friend won 2 soft shackles, couldn't come on next wheeling trip and loaned us both.

Front leaf spring snapped, axle went back, compressed driveshaft and ripped t-case off back of transmission. Winched axle in place and compressed suspension against bump stop. soft shackle around leaf to frame, now we could use vehicle winch.

Broke two winch ropes, 3 tree savers, and 2 30' tow ropes. We were pulling back ways, sideways, and wrong ways to get this rig out of a creek. Soft shackles survived without issue.

Sounds like i'm on some soft shackle bandwagon, just really impressed. Nobody and no rigs recieved damage from all the broken tow stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will agree to disagree about all the steel stuff. I've seen it break and luckily never seen anyone hurt from it. Certainly seen windows busted and rigs dented from it though....

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
I will agree to disagree about all the steel stuff. I've seen it break and luckily never seen anyone hurt from it. Certainly seen windows busted and rigs dented from it though....
Everything breaks but it's a tool like any other and dangerous is misused or improperly maintained. While synthetic rope and "soft shackles" may be safer in the hands of a novice, my wire rope and steel attachments are no more dangerous than the 6k lbs vehicle itself. You simply have to take the proper precautions when using a given tool for the job.

Now in racing, where everything is chaotic and distractions are everywhere, not to mention the speed needed to haul a line, lighter and safer ideas will prevail but usually racing teams can afford that stuff easier. That fancy hook the OP posted is $240, my entire 3/8" line with the swivel hook attached was only $120 and will outlast synthetic by many years with the infrequent use it sees.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Soft shackles?
I just build my own out of old winch line. Making a endless loop is very easy to do. Then just girth hitch it around round whatever (tube, axle, whatever)

I have one on my rig as a movable attachment point and use four (one for each ratchet strap) when I tie my rig down to the trailer.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
All that Factor55 stuff is overpriced, gaudy nonsense. Looks neat if you are into that.

I run a TRE Safety Thimble and have about 10 soft shackles. Also have their 2 lb aluminum snatch block. I carry the clevises in my trailer box. :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts