Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short Version-----

While heading toward the parking area Saturday, we came across an ambulace and crew along with some ATV's... A guy had flipped his ATV over backwards on a steep rocky hill climb, slamming head first into a rock with his ATV on top of him...They suspected a broken neck.... (RocDoc is the cheif surgery resident at Vanderbilt Hospital , a level 1 trauma center), the victim was halfway along the trail(#21), several miles from an accessible road either way...., We drove one of the EMT's in along with his equipment .... Doc worked with the EMT to evaluate the victim (not paralized but had severe pain in his neck and tingling in his limbs) It was now dark with the temps falling way below freezing... We ended up strapping the guy on the back board to the hood of Docs jeep and driving him out to the waiting rescue squad....
If we hadn't have helped, the recue squad would have had to hike in several miles and carry the victim down ice/snow covered mountain trail, taking many hours, risking further injury and hypothermia.....

Lessons Learned.... Poor Tennessee Counties cant afford quality rescue equipment, so don't count on them being able to come get you in a hurry if you are hurt bad....
Also you can't carry too much recovery equipment, emergency supplies or parts.....
I had a flat going down the trail to get to the victim... BUT having onboard air and tire plugs , I was able to fix the flat, air up, and catch back up to doc, without him having to stop, delaying us getting to the victim.....

also...
We did do Rattlerock Sunday.... I broke my rear output shaft and front driveshaft twice... Doc only winched once, didn't want too, but couldn't risk having two broke rigs at once, on a Sunday evening near dark with everyone else at home watching the Superbowl.... I'm amazed that I was able to winch myself up the last 75yds or so of the trail with no drive power to either axle...
(took 2 hours)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Hope the guy's alright. Was he wearing a helmet? I'm a firm believer in the helmet. It's saved my neck several times and it's warmer in the winter. Glad to hear you guy's were there and lent a hand. If the guy makes it through you guy's played a big role in saving his life.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NOPE... no helmet....

I remember an old Bell Helmet AD... (when they first came out with an expensive off-road helmet)... It said "If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet"
So you know what I think about guys without a helmet!!!

When Doc and the EMT first started treating the guy, the first thing doc asked was if he had a helmet on?

The guy was inexperienced also.... He was visiting here in Tennessee from Wisconson... His buddies said they had never riden in the mountains before...
I assumed he was a young guy when we first heard about it, but when we got there he was 54, grandfather of 4......

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
:beer: :beer: :beer:'s for you, Tator. Kinda sucks when we have to sort out someone else just coz they are stupid, but you stuck with it, Good Job!! :cool:

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
It's crazy/stupid as shit to not wear a helmet on an ATV, especially on a rocky mountain. When I was in Tellico in August I only saw one person on the whole mountain with a helmet on and he was a little kid on a dirtbike, less than 10 years old. Guys on Polaris 700s that probably weigh 800 lbs. with no helmet on. :(

·
Registered
31,026 Posts
tators said:
He was visiting here in Tennessee from Wisconson... His buddies said they had never riden in the mountains before...
he was 54, grandfather of 4......
Dang. You'd think that at his age, he'd be smarter than that. So on vacation, a long way from home, doing crazy shit without a helmet... How much worse can it get? Oh, I guess he could have gotten stupid in a foreign country, where his insurance didn't cover him... :eek:

·
Registered
34,219 Posts
Bobzooki said:

Dang. You'd think that at his age, he'd be smarter than that. So on vacation, a long way from home, doing crazy shit without a helmet... How much worse can it get? Oh, I guess he could have gotten stupid in a foreign country, where his insurance didn't cover him... :eek:
Don't worry - after he sue's the ATV manufacturer for building a dangerous product, he'll be set for life. :mad: :mad: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Update!

I called and talked with the E.D. physician caring for him in Oak Ridge. It appears that other than some mild hypothermia, he was able to be discharged early the next morning without neurologic defecit nor radiographic abnormalities. Sounds like a 'cord stinger' as suspected which is something we frequently see in trauma.

My biggest fear that night was hypothermia. I suspected he would likely have no fracture. It took us a long time to get out of the woods via Jeep, I can only imagine how long it would have taken on foot. Not to mention it was well below freezing and the ground was frozen solid.

A couple of additional points....helmets, helmets, helmets.....second, when helping with a rescue situation, never put yourself or the rescuers in danger--no need to change a single trauma into a poly trauma.

tators and I only did what I hope everyone in the wheeling community would do....help if you can, if you can't...move on!

Keep it safe,

Doc

·
Premium Member
9,571 Posts
This RockDoc?
http://www.4x4wire.com/feature/rockdoc

Class act, regardless...
tators and I only did what I hope everyone in the wheeling community would do....help if you can, if you can't...move on!
Amen!

Randii

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
350 Sammy.....

I did lose my Garmin GPS12 Sunday on Rattlerock.... Upper section somewhere.... (bounced out of the holder!! imagine that??)Can you spread the word to your club incase one of them finds it.....

I always carry my GPS with me ... incase of an emergency... If I have to leave someone and go get help I can mark the spot and also use the tracklog to get back to them...
And could also use it to give lat/long info to the rescue squad to help locate the victim... rather than "somewhere up there on a rock!"

Replacing the lost unit is not as big of an issue as all the lost waypoints, I had alot of trail heads, intersections, and even salt water grouper holes!!been using this unit for over 5 years.....

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
tators said:
350 Sammy.....

I did lose my Garmin GPS12 Sunday on Rattlerock.... Upper section somewhere.... (bounced out of the holder!! imagine that??)Can you spread the word to your club incase one of them finds it.....

I always carry my GPS with me ... incase of an emergency... If I have to leave someone and go get help I can mark the spot and also use the tracklog to get back to them...
And could also use it to give lat/long info to the rescue squad to help locate the victim... rather than "somewhere up there on a rock!"

Replacing the lost unit is not as big of an issue as all the lost waypoints, I had alot of trail heads, intersections, and even salt water grouper holes!!been using this unit for over 5 years.....
I'll definately spread the word. I will be up there this Saturday. I am meeting some guys from Nashville who have never been there and we are running Rattlerock first thing. I may try to go up there sometime after work if I get a chance. It should still be there because there isn't much traffic on Rattlerock during the week.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
nice work guys, kudos.

This is exactly why I've been getting my quads well stocked. As soon as I got the storage bags for the back racks (came in by second ride), first thing that went in was a well stocked first aide kit in each machine. Other survival gear is in the works. Can't say enough about helmets. I've gone as far as buying an extra so I'm sure to have one that'll fit whoever goes riding with me. NO ONE gets on my machines without a brain bucket.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts