Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
82 toy with rubber gasket ("seal")

Flipped the truck on its lid last week-end and busted out the windshield, seal and all. I already have a new windshield and think I have the top jacked up enough that it will go in. The odd thing is, neither the seal or the windshield had any adhesive on them.

My question is do I put the seal on the truck first with adhesive (cuz it doesn't stay up there by itself) or put it on the windshild first then install. I don't think the latter will work cuz you have to "pull" the seal out over the windshield to seat it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
589 Posts
FWIW,
my '83 just used the gasket, no sealer/adhesive.
My '84 uses sealer/adhesive, no gasket.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I've never done this myself but I remember reading about it. Put the seal on the windsheild then lay the lower part of the seal and windsheild with the seal's groove installed with a wire in the groove all the way around. You pull on the wire from the inside to seat the seal around the frame. Sounds easy, but I've never done it.

·
Registered
24,641 Posts
4CrawlR said:
Is there any way to get rid of the crappy metal trim around the '85 windshield. I would like a one piece rubber trim strip or gasket around the outside. Would an '83 gasket fit a later model truck or are they too different?
They are different enough that it won't work. When I flopped mine I went to the yard to check that out. I popped a pre-84 out and set it on a 2nd gen and they were not even close. Would have made it soo much easier. I heard getting the 2nd gen to seal and not leak is a task for someone like me who has never done it. Was told to let an installer do it by a few folks

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
Bones said:
They are different enough that it won't work. When I flopped mine I went to the yard to check that out. I popped a pre-84 out and set it on a 2nd gen and they were not even close. Would have made it soo much easier. I heard getting the 2nd gen to seal and not leak is a task for someone like me who has never done it. Was told to let an installer do it by a few folks
I did and its leaking again, gotta take it back for them to fix it (advantage of paying someone, they get to fix it). I'm mainly wondering if there is some sort of rubber seal that can be applied in place of the decorative s/s trim. Since its just pressed into the groove around the glass, it doesn't really do any sealing. Not sure if its an SR5 do-dad or not. All it does on mine is trap water and cause rust underneath it.

·
Lurking since 1956
10,417 Posts
TXLUGNUT said:
82 toy with rubber gasket ("seal")

Flipped the truck on its lid last week-end and busted out the windshield, seal and all. I already have a new windshield and think I have the top jacked up enough that it will go in. The odd thing is, neither the seal or the windshield had any adhesive on them.

My question is do I put the seal on the truck first with adhesive (cuz it doesn't stay up there by itself) or put it on the windshild first then install. I don't think the latter will work cuz you have to "pull" the seal out over the windshield to seat it.

Thanks.
It is a two man job. You put the seal on the window first. wrap a heavy twine around the seal then lay the glass in the opening. Make sure both ends of the twine are on the inside. Hold one end and pull the other while someone puts pressure on the outside where you are pulling. Not too much pressure or it will make it hard for you to pull the string. Don't use too small of a string or it will cut into the rubber when you pull. If it gets tight to pull start the other end and work each end as needed until it's in. Keep a small screwdriver handy to help get the rubber over the lip if it gets too hard. If it does get hard to pull stop and fix it or you will cut the rubber. edit: no adheasive

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,737 Posts
Coop 50 said:
I've never done this myself but I remember reading about it. Put the seal on the windsheild then lay the lower part of the seal and windsheild with the seal's groove installed with a wire in the groove all the way around. You pull on the wire from the inside to seat the seal around the frame. Sounds easy, but I've never done it.
That is the way I put the rear window in. I used a thin cord and talcum powder, one person putting gentle pressure on it from the outside and another person slowly pulling the cord and making sure the gasket is coming over the lip. Window installer showed me how to do it. I would not use wire as it could cut the gasket.

I already have a new windshield and think I have the top jacked up enough that it will go in. The odd thing is, neither the seal or the windshield had any adhesive on them.

You had better hope it is straight, does not take much of a tweak to break the glass. With that type of gasket it dos not need adhesive if the gasket is good and plaible.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Windshields and exhaust are the 2 things I say fawk it and have it done..

But, a lil trick, get some nylon string, put it into the lip of the seal on the bottom portion, push the windshield into the seal on the upper portion of the seal, and pull the string, it will force the seal lip over onto the windshield..

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
the answer to cure all leaky windshields is...lots of silicone.
or a garage:)

2nd gen are a serious PITA but and take a while to do.
the first are better but mine leaks like a sive:( note to self, more silicone.

·
Registered
24,641 Posts
4CrawlR said:

I did and its leaking again, gotta take it back for them to fix it (advantage of paying someone, they get to fix it). I'm mainly wondering if there is some sort of rubber seal that can be applied in place of the decorative s/s trim. Since its just pressed into the groove around the glass, it doesn't really do any sealing. Not sure if its an SR5 do-dad or not. All it does on mine is trap water and cause rust underneath it.
My non-SR5 was the same. The trim held in water over the years and when I went to remove it, the a-pillars were rusty (even had a couple holes :mad: Now I'm doing a cab swap and just about chose an 83 or older for the windsheild alone :D

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
Bones said:
My non-SR5 was the same. The trim held in water over the years and when I went to remove it, the a-pillars were rusty (even had a couple holes :mad: Now I'm doing a cab swap and just about chose an 83 or older for the windsheild alone :D
I wonder if there is a silicone or polyurethane sealant that would hold up to the sun if applied on the outside. Basically get the windhield re-sealed then go around the outside and fill in the groove w/ sealant to make a flush surface. I guess I could get some flat vinyl trim and stick in the wet sealant to keep the UV off it. I tried a poly windshield sealant around mine once, but in 6 months its all cracked from the sun.

My old VW had a cheesy chrome plastic trimmed windshield gasket and it leaked. The replacement was the European style solid rubber gasket. With that, no more leaks and it looks better too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.