Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a winters(Art Carr) sidewinder shifter, and started reading the install instructions for my TF999/904 into a CJ with a 4.0L. It has some crazy linkage setup and the shift cable coming under the transmission. Anyone who has installed this I am looking for suggestions on how to route the shift cable. I was thinking the shift cable would attach directly to the trans shift lever, and there would be a bracket that attaches to the back of the transmission holding it in place. Any pictures of the shift linkage at the transmission would be appreciated.

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Just inherent with a torqueflight... Other than just having to route the cable under the rear of the tranny, they all mount similar to that. Mine attaches to my 4L65E with a similar bracket to the pan bolts.

Here's a link with pics to one on a 727.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/1003506-art-carr-winters-shift-onto-4wd-727-a.html
Not sure it would help, but the B&M ProStick shifters don't mount that way. There's a bracket that attaches to a couple of the transmission pan bolts on the driver's side and the cable routes forward and up similar to how the factor cable routes. The cable attaches to the ProStick at the front of the shifter, so that probably would not work if the Art Carr attaches at the rear (unless you have the cable make a big "S"), but just a possible idea.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought about trying to make a bracket and route cable from back of pan, but the linkage provided with the shifter has some type of lever arm with correct ratio so gates in shifter work with transmission. I will probably try to make it work like directions say, and if I have problems down the road figure out a different setup.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I got the brackets installed, and everything looks right, but the cable goes directly where the front output yoke for the tcase is. Not sure I am going to be able to get this length cable to work, but I am going try. Routing without sharp bends will be a challenge.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Why this doesn't just loop back, down and strait up beside the tranny is beyond me.

What did you end up doing with yours? To loop mine around under the back of the tranny the cable would be all kinds of kinked up... Doesn't make sense to me.

Any advise or pictures would be a great help.

**** Got it worked out, just had to buy a longer cable and the provided install stuff will work as its supposed to :)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Heya,

How did the cable mount? Mine now interferes with the flipped twin stick shifters.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Mine attaches to the driverside of the tranny pan and forward to the shift arm. What t-case are you using? I am using the cable shifters on my Atlas so I don't have any interference issues.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Mine attaches to the driverside of the tranny pan and forward to the shift arm. What t-case are you using? I am using the cable shifters on my Atlas so I don't have any interference issues.
I'll try to grab a pic. Flipped d300 with cable shifters. But my shifter cable comes in fro. The passenger side, bracket attached to the rear of the pan, then to the bell crank. This is what's hitting my tcase shifter.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
I run an Art Carr with a V8 , 727 trans and a Dana 300 passenger side drop. It works with no issues I did add a cable tie down on the passenger side to keep the cable close to the trans case. Been running it for over 6 years with no issues.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I run an Art Carr with a V8 , 727 trans and a Dana 300 passenger side drop. It works with no issues I did add a cable tie down on the passenger side to keep the cable close to the trans case. Been running it for over 6 years with no issues.
The issue is the drivers drop when it's flipped. The d300 shifters are at the bottom of the tcase and the linkage for the auto take up the same real estate.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Sorry I missed the post about a flipped D300, you can put a fairly tight bend in the cable. Mine follows the trans pan, then up into the inside of the tub.

·
Registered
262 Posts
This is the issue. Even with the bracket cut and welded at a different angle, I still can't reach the park position before the shifter interferes with the tcase shifters.

I know the bell crank and actuator length roughly = 2:1 with the cable (the bell crank and actuator are roughly 1/2 the length of the shifter arm on the bell crank) which in theory means I can run the standard actuator, just have to work out a minting system for the cable.

Next problem...
The shifter would interfere with the drive shaft.

custom bracket or run the bell crank off a custom bracket but with a longer push rod between bell crank and actuator.

Does anyone know what you call the shifter cables with 2 nuts on the end of the sheath to secure it?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I may have a solution... Rough for now, but I'm limited in my apartment garage. My theory is that the bell crank and cable is a 1:1 ratio. So it doesn't matter if the bell crank is at the shifter or trans end. It still moves the same amount. Then the cable is routed out the back and under the trans to a cable bracket then to the actuator. This also (if it works) makes the shifter work the correct way, and not backwards.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts