Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front end is so bashed in that I cannot fit my stock headlights anymore. I am setting up some Hella 500 driving lights to replace them. I am thinking of running them off of the low beam circuit of existing stock wiring harness and running my off-road high power lights off of the high beam circuit. Can I do this without burning up my wiring?

Truck is an 85 yota.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
I think the toy harness uses ground switching?
either way it's not heavy ga enough to get the most out of your lights.

run new wire and relays and use your switch, just get out the wiring diagram for the toy and "do it":)

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
How about just running the 55 watt driving lights thru the stock toy low beam circuit and running the higher power lights thru separate wiring with a relay and switch? The reason I am doing this is because I have a bunch of good trails close to the house. I am a cheap bastard so I do not have a trailer but my truck is getting further and further from being recognizable as a truck. I still want to have two headlights so I don't get pulled over on the way to the AZ night runs since it is way too hot to go out during the day.

I am thinking the 55 watt driving lights (Hella 500) should be able to handle the stock gauge wireing but I may be wrong... I am going to take a look at the size of wireing supplied with the kit and compare to stock. I gotta make a run Sat night and have a lot more than these lights to get done. The heat here this summer has been heinous and my work ethic has gone down the drain - its 1am and still 90 degrees!!

Oh- one more thing - what do you mean by ground switching? Does that mean the ground runs thru the switch? If so, then yes. I think most Toy wiring has ground switching.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
it will work, but even the stock wiring is a bit small.

the lights will be brighter if you use a relay,r brown even sells a neat little wiring kit for Toyota's.

go ahead and wire it up, if you are happy with the results then you are good to go wheel in that hot moon light:D

I live there 5.5 years, I know it's hot!

·
Premium Member
10,038 Posts
It's stupid simple. Use the same wiring diagram that comes on the hella box, and use the supplied 30a relay. Instead of running a hot wire from a switch to the relay solenoid, use one of the + wires that toyota used to power the original lights. If it's a switched ground...then wire the solenoid + to the battery and switch it using the - terminal...
It takes all of 15 minutes...doing it the right way. Otherwise, use wire taps and electrical tape and have it done in 5.

·
Banned
7,672 Posts
It's stupid simple. Use the same wiring diagram that comes on the hella box, and use the supplied 30a relay. Instead of running a hot wire from a switch to the relay solenoid, use one of the + wires that toyota used to power the original lights. If it's a switched ground...then wire the solenoid + to the battery and switch it using the - terminal...
It takes all of 15 minutes...doing it the right way. Otherwise, use wire taps and electrical tape and have it done in 5.
+1, use a relay. Shouldn't be too hard.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I connected some male connectors to the lights, plugged them in to the harness and good to go. The gauge of the light wiring is the same as the harness wiring. These lights are only for the street so they are not high power. Existing harness stays cool to the touch so I am not worried. The only thing I don't like is I got the driving lights which have a pencil beam. I think I would have been better off with the fog lights for coverage.

I will hook the big lights up through the relay and bigger wiring.

And yeah Seabass, even the moonlight is hot!! We've got some of the best wheeling though!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts