Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just built a new shop and i am putting a 100 amp panel in and today i went to price some #2 wire and liked to have passed out. My shop is about a 100 feet
from my house pole and the price per foot is 1.58x3 thats gonna be over 500 bucks with tax OUCH any suggestions before i make a loan for the wire?

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
I just built a new shop and i am putting a 100 amp panel in and today i went to price some #2 wire and liked to have passed out. My shop is about a 100 feet
from my house pole and the price per foot is 1.58x3 thats gonna be over 500 bucks with tax OUCH any suggestions before i make a loan for the wire?
That's the breaks.

What about 2 gauge AL?

I'm not certain about 2ga aluminum at a 100' run @100A, so take it as a suggestion. But, I doubt your shop will ever pull 100A or near that continuously.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was thinking of going with #4 copper its good for 85 amps and its a good bit cheaper. I am kinda of scared to use alum wire. I will probably never pull over 50 amps my equipment list is :
Hobart 187 mig welder, Lincoln tombstone stick welder, Parker 40amp plasma cutter and a 60 gallon 3 horse compressor.

·
Registered
14,459 Posts
In the overall scheme of things, $500 is chickenfeed. Belly-up, pay the tab, and get on with it. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Search - AL is fine and used all the time. Its been discussed in this forum a dozen times

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
I wouldn't go with anything less than 2ga for a 100' run into a 100a panel. Like stated before, close your eyes, buy it, install it. Move on

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
For a feeder, there is no reason to be.
x2.

As I said in the other thread a week or so ago, every house that I have lived in growing up (that I can remember at least) has had AL wiring in it for the main service. None of the houses ever burnt down and there were never any problems with it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just bought some 100 amp AL service wire direct bury for $1.17 ft and it's 2/2/4 wire
I found some 2-2-4 al for 1.05 a foot i think i am gonna go your route. I will have to order it but it will save me a ton of money.Thanks for the advice. What is the difference in installing al wire and copper? I have delt with al wire.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I found some 2-2-4 al for 1.05 a foot i think i am gonna go your route. I will have to order it but it will save me a ton of money.Thanks for the advice. What is the difference in installing al wire and copper? I have delt with al wire.
Really no difference, just install like I've suggested in my previous post.
Are there any metallic connections between your house and the garage? ie: phone wires, metal water piping or gas lines? If so you'll need 4 conductor urd wire.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really no difference, just install like I've suggested in my previous post.
Are there any metallic connections between your house and the garage? ie: phone wires, metal water piping or gas lines? If so you'll need 4 conductor urd wire.
No the only connection will be the 2-2-4

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
If its getting inspected might want to ask you inspector about 2/2/4 or 2/2/2/4.

Boss just told us the other day the '08 code requires 4 wire to separate buildings. No more 3 wire. I have yet to do a code update since I am still a year away from journeyman card but would hate to see you get screwed.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Bigstic's boss is exactly right. So if your state has accepted the 2008 code, some haven't yet my state being one of them, then you'd better run the 4wire. Heck run it anyway and you wont have to worry about it. You'll still need to drive ground rods and bond them to the equipment ground bar in your panel.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
If its getting inspected might want to ask you inspector about 2/2/4 or 2/2/2/4.

Boss just told us the other day the '08 code requires 4 wire to separate buildings. No more 3 wire. I have yet to do a code update since I am still a year away from journeyman card but would hate to see you get screwed.
Unless this is something COMPLETELY different than what Im accustomed to....

As far as I know, this is only for buildings powered by a subpanel. Anything on it's own service only needs 3. Thats two hots and a Neutral from the street to the meter.

The 4th you are speaking of should be the ground, as a sub-panel must have a dedicated ground buss, that ties to the ground of the main panel, which in turn uses a ground rod, Ufer-ground, or both.

This also means that no ground rod is needed at the subpanel, and some people will argue that a ground rod should NOT be used.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Unless this is something COMPLETELY different than what Im accustomed to....

As far as I know, this is only for buildings powered by a subpanel. Anything on it's own service only needs 3. Thats two hots and a Neutral from the street to the meter.

The 4th you are speaking of should be the ground, as a sub-panel must have a dedicated ground buss, that ties to the ground of the main panel, which in turn uses a ground rod, Ufer-ground, or both.

This also means that no ground rod is needed at the subpanel, and some people will argue that a ground rod should NOT be used.
Guess i read the op as feeding his new shop off the existing house panel. Hence why i said 4 wire. I know we always used to use 3 wire and ground rods for separate buildings but now its all 4 wire and you still need the ground rods. I swear Half the '08 code book is new. And as far as arguing ground rods well the inspectors up her LOVE them so its just easier to put them in :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts