Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Jet 8" 1hp bench grinder with the multi-tool disc/belt sander on one side. I NEVER use the grinding stone on the other, and now that I've got my plasma table up and running I've been using the wire wheel on my grinder more than ever. So it occurred to me to put a wire wheel on the bench grinder.

I always use knotted wire wheels on my angle grinders because they last the longest, but is that the best move for a bench grinder? Sears(got a gift card to burn) has three kinds, knotted, fine, and coarse.

I will be using this for general grime removal/weld prep and dross removal from plasma'd parts.

What are you guys using?

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I use the coarse (or medium if such a thing exists??) from Black&Pecker, sold at HD. I just don't remember how B&P classifies it, maybe it is coarse.

Doubt it will do much to dross tho. Your bench grinder has some balls, so that's good.

The knotted will of course be more aggressive, but I don't think it will conform as easily to irregular shapes.

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
I have a non-knotted on my bench grinder. Hopefully your grinder has some HP cause the more you lay into it the better job it does.

I don't know if mine is fine or course, I'd say probably course as its not a powder-puff, but its also not as course or aggressive as a knotted one would be. I use the crap out if it however, for all sorts of things. REALLY handy for removing rust from stuff without removing base metal.

They seem to last forever. The one I/we have has been on that machine for over 15 years+ (man, has it been that look :eek:) and we've never even thought about replacing it. Course its not in a fab shop, gets maybe used once or twice a week for various tasks, but like I said, holds up great.

Wear glasses or better yet a shield. It WILL launch wires occasionally (probably a good argument for spending some $$ on a "good" one), not to mention the crap it will toss and if the part gets out of your hands (which it can easily). I would label them as dangerous, but with some thought and paying attention, "safe enough" :D

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I use the coarse one and they do last quite a while.

just be careful if you use it to remove anything with oil or grease does not go well with welding.

If mine gets to bad I clean it with gum cutter if it gets to the point it doesn`t clean I just throw it away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts