Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm hoping to get some information regarding wiring on a v8 swap I have going. I'm currently putting a 5.7 vortec (it came out of a 1998 gmc Sierra) into my 1989 Yj, and I'm struggling to figure out where to start on the wiring portion. More specifically, what portions of wiring I need to pull out entirely to either make way for, or replace with, the new engine harness. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I have a new painless harness I would sell for cheap, I believe it is for that series of motor. I will have to check when I get home, but that would be easiest route.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sorry, I didn't clarify; I have the harness for the 5.7 (ecm, fuel pump relay, sensors, etc). I suppose what I'm trying to ask is should I plan to pull all the wiring, including the gauge cluster and everything that runs to the engine bay from the dash? Or should I only concern myself with tracing what will be replaced by the new harness?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not necessarily. I'm LS swapping my 88, and with it originally being a 4.2 it had the Ford (yeah, you heard that!) MCU with the BBD carb. I sat down with the Jeep factory wiring diagrams, and pared out the old MCU wiring....leaving just the power feeds, starter solenoid and gauge wiring. From what I have read the sender resistances are the same as GM senders, so I am just wiring them directly into the GM harness (in my case using a 98 Camaro combo ECT/coolant temp sender and stock oil pressure sender). I don't see a need to touch any wiring in the dash.

Attachments

·
Slab King
47 Posts
Not a direct answer to your question, but I have the same motor in the same year wrangler, but I'm using the Holley HP fuel injection. Aside from excellent, tunable fuel injection, the kit includes a)- a standalone harness and computer that is plug and play, and b)- a digital lcd screen for gauges that are accurate and real time. I've found the gauges in all three of my YJ's to be woefully inaccurate (esp oil pressure and temp) so while I have hem hooked up currently, I don't need them as the digital dash is far superior.

Might be an option for you....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am putting a 97 5.7 Vortec in my 89 YJ as well right now. Just getting started and I ordered the a standalone wiring harness from Howell. Should be here in the next week or 2 and will let you know how it all turns out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts