Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried to search the forums for this topic but it seems to only bring up posts in the classifieds.

I'm working on installing a 5.0 and np435 in my 92 YJ am I'm trying to see what would be the best option for the clutch linkage. Originally I planned use a bellhousing with the external slave but I've read the driveshaft can interfere with the slave during suspension travel. I don't have a bellhousing or any other clutch parts yet and I don't want the spend the money until I can verify that it can work. I should mention that I have an NP205 that's been clocked upward so it doesn't hang below the frame and I would assume that it would cause more of a problem with driveshaft/slave clearance.

I'm open to a mechanical setup but I'm concerned if there will also be clearance issues. Which linkage would be better? CJ? Ford? Does it matter?

As far as the wiring goes I just need another engine harness since the original went with the motor when I sold it. Do I need one to match the original? (92 4.0, 5 speed) could I use one from a 2.5 manual or auto or 4.0 auto and make it work? I only ask because the harnesses I found on ebay that match the original were more expensive than the others. I'm not afraid to spend the money to get what I need but if I don't have to I'd like to save it for something else.

I've read quite a few postings about the 5.0 swap but couldn't seem to find anything specific enough to answer my questions.

Any info or links that can help me would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1979 F150 351w np435 on 37s. 1995 YJ 4Banger with 5speed on 31s. 2000 XJ 4.0 auto on 31s.
372 Posts
This reminds me of a different build. He hasn't posted about the clutch linkage yet, but he might have a plan.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This reminds me of a different build. He hasn't posted about the clutch linkage yet, but he might have a plan.
I just signed up to wrangler forum to ask him about it but I see you beat me to it. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
1979 F150 351w np435 on 37s. 1995 YJ 4Banger with 5speed on 31s. 2000 XJ 4.0 auto on 31s.
372 Posts
Yeah. Good luck in the search. I've got a 435 in my 79 f150. I'm still using a mechanical linkage with heim joints, but I have a bunch more room under the hood

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah. Good luck in the search. I've got a 435 in my 79 f150. I'm still using a mechanical linkage with heim joints, but I have a bunch more room under the hood
I think I can make the mechanical work but I'm not sure if the driveshaft will clear the clutch fork. If I had a bellhousing I'd mock it up and see what it looks like.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am running a 93 5.0 to 78 NP435 in my project stretched CJ5. I am going to try to use a Speedway pull-type slave cylinder and hang it off the back of the bell housing. It will clear the exhaust and nothing else should get in the way. I wanted to stay with hydraulic clutch for ease of use. Using a bell housing, starter and flywheel from mid-80's F150 truck. Going to be installing in a few months. Here is the kit I am using: Speedway Hydraulic Clutch Pedal Kit, Swing Mount

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats a good idea, I'll look into that. I should be able to use my original master cylinder so I'll probably just get a slave cylinder. Thanks for the input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts