Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friend Chuck is near the final stages of the 99 JX 4.0 engine swap into my 90 YJ.. When we got the engine, it came w/ the wiring harness as well. Everything's been bolted in & double checked. Now, Chuck's wiring everything up. I just called from work to check the status & he says he can't even find the plug for the alternator!!! To let you know, this is his first Jeep swap, but he's no slouch when it comes to this stuff. Also, the harness wire colors we have don't really jive w/ the paperwork we've found online & through a FSM for the 98 TJ. I've been told that that FSM would be the same as the 99 XJ.

If there's anybody out there that could possibly lead him in the right direction, we would both truly appreciate it!

Chuck LaStrapes
225-675-5844

He lives in Gonzales, LA

TIA!!!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Im doing practically the exact same thing as we speak, a 94 XJ 4.0 into my 90 YJ, anyways, I looked and fo me, the alternator and a lot of the other excessories on the engine have a plug coming off the front passenger side of the engine, and there is a plug that it plugs into on the wiring harness next to the fuse box. There are a few plugs there but only one will fit the one coming off the engine. Not sure if its the same for a 99, but thats how it is on my 94. Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
The '94 harness will be different then the '99 because it will be OBDII. It is a little more complicated to get them to work. Not sure on the alt plug, but I do know that the TJ and XJ harnesses are very different. In my swap, I used a '91 motor and the XJ harness had a ton more wiring then the TJ one. Just drop the $100 for the correct FSM and you will consider it the best money you have ever spent.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts