Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help finding a wiring diagram for a Jet 1440 Engine Lathe.

PO "custom" wired it and I'd like to correct it.

When I hit the power now the motor just vibrates like it's trying to run forward/reverse at the same time. BTW this is 3 phase 440V.

Thankd for any help!

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Since it is a 3 phase motor, you should have 3 load wires and 1 ground wire. It doesn't make any difference which phase you wire the load wires to. If it spins the wrong way, just swap any 2 load wires.

Do you have 3 phase power? Can you spin the motor freely without any power hooded up?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3 Phase 440. - Still wired in the exact same position. I purchased the building and the lathe was a bonus. PO was not happy with the sale and I suspect "rewired" the relays for me.

Should have mentioned above. I connected the power leads directly to the motor and could get it to work in both directions.

I "think" the problem is at one or more of the relays. They appear to have been "worked on" recently as the thick layer of dust is disturbed at several places on more than one relay. He removed a DRO from the lathe but I wouldn't think that would effect the relays.

I saw this lathe run the day before I closed on the building so I know it worked.

FWIW he also disassembled the carb, brake controls, and removed the starter from the forklift that came with the building. It was all there just in pieces. I was there when he was loading the last truck so I know it was in working condition the day before closing.

When I did the walk through on the day of closing I didn't think I needed to make sure they were still assembled or wired correctly. I just checked that the lathe and tooling were still there????

·
Registered
233 Posts
Harbor Freight has a manual for their 14x40 lathe online here . There's a wiring diagram in the manual.

I'm not sure if it's an exact match for yours, but it might be worth printing out and comparing to your machine.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it!

The actual model number is 1440-3PGH. Made in 1993 but it was discontinued last year. I called Jet's tech line and they are faxing/emailing all the manuals for it. Super nice to deal with. I just had to track down the right people.

The PO got boned by the bank and he thought I was taking advantage of his financial position. I paid what I thought the building was worth in the condition he left it. I did not know his financial position until closing. Had I known his situation it would have made no difference to me.

I would have paid more for the building if the PO would have cleaned it up before we looked at it. Words cannot do the mess justice.

Thanks for the responses!

Hope to be making chips soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts