Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 83 k/20 short bed,it had an old school 454.I am putting a 350 that I have put a carb on from a 95 chevy van with a serpentine belt setup. The original alternator had a 2 wire plug and a power wire.The 95 alternator has a different plug and a single wire going to it.I had to buy a new plug for the 95 alt because the plug broke in my hand when I unplugged it and have bought a new one from auto parts store.All I have to do now is figure out were to and how to wire it up so it dont blow some thing up when I start it up.

Some help from some one familler with putting a new style alternator on an old truck would be appreciated.

Your not having fun till you brake something.....:homer:

·
Registered
23 Posts
The main hot wire will go to the pos+ battery cable of course...the one wire plug is the exicter wire(basically turns the alty on and allows it to charge) it will need a ignition on hot source of power..I suggest running the exciter wire to the fuse box under the dash, then hook it into a one of the open ignition on hot spots...

·
Registered
13 Posts
exciter wire is probably the red wire (likely terminal #2 if it's labeled)

The other wire doesn't need to be connected, it's for a dummy light.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
let me get it straight

So what your saying is on the old alternator the 2 wire plug,one is for the exciter and the other is on the dummy light.The 95 alternator just had the one small wire hooked up,so that alternator only had the exciter wire and the dummy light was hooked up some were else.

So if I got this right,I should only have to hook up the exciter wire that is coming of the fuse block to the new alternator and eliminate the other wire on the old plug then.The 95 alt had a small wire in the middle of the plug that wasn't no bigger then a speaker wire.

I was reading that the new alts were the self exciter type and that it turned on when it started moving.I just want to get it right because I don't have the cash to through at a new alt if I burn this one up or fry my electrical system on the truck.Thanks for the help.

Your not having fun till you break something.......:homer:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Oh all right,thanks for the help.I fell confident I wont screw it up now.Nice blazer,I would post a pic of mine just not sure how.Well thanks for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts