Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I have a 96 f150 short bed pickup that did not come stock with dual tanks,
well I went down bought a tank wiring harness and all fuel lines out of a 96 f150 extended cab short bed pickup, cut the tank to fit and sealed mounted all the fuel lines and wires, i also cut the forward fuel door off the donor truck and mig welded that onto my pickup. everything fit like i thought it would which is great. however i am having some issues with my wiring. does anyone have an FSM in electronic format i could get ahold of. for some reason the new tank pumps for about 20 minutes then shuts off. also the rear tank just stops pumping sometime. so i would like to trace the stock wires as well as the new ones i have placed to try and track down the prob.

aditionally does anyone know if the pump runs on 12VDC or is it dropped down?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
There is a whole mess of wiring in that truck even more complicated for the 1996 year due to OBD-II.

Did you relieve the fuel pressure?
The manual says its a high pressure fuel pump, venturi jet pump, relief check valves, and a shuttle selector valve.
The system pressure is controlled by a pressure regulator on the fuel rail. The main fuel pump relay is controlled by the EEC computer.

Also it says if no battery voltage is present, check the circuits.
Check the fuse that is for the fuel system, maybe a short.

Did you try resetting the fuel pump shutoff?

Do you have a Haynes manual?

BTW I would prefer to have my wiring done by a professional because of the risk of electrical fire.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IM not sure what you mean by relieve the fuel pump preassure. i did verify that i had preasure from both pumps when i put everything together.
also where is the fuel pump shutoff and how do you reset it.
I am not to worried about the wiring as i retrieved the entire wiring harness from the donor vehicle and all the wires i added now go through a seperate terminal/fuse block.

all the fuses look good and i have not found any short/opens in the system. I did however wonder because when i tried to check the voltage to the pump it read less than 1 volt. (batteries in multimeter were new. multimeter was set to the correct range. although it is possable i had a bad ground.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts