Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in getting my jeep re-wired.
does anyone have any suggestions for the
Sacramento area???

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
If it is a total rewire, I would suggest just getting a painless kit and doing it yourself. I have the universal kit on my CJ6 buildup and it is great. It even includes the speaker wires. I also added a high current headlight harness. charging circuit, and the harness for the electric fan. I am more than happy with all four. I would consider the install an easy task, but I am an electrician (industrial). One of the nicest things about the painless kit is that all wires are labled on the wire where they go. This makes for easy repairs on the trail without a diagram. I'm not sure of any local guys that could do it for you as I have never paid for electrical work.

Attachments

·
Everyday is Tuesday.
46,291 Posts
Yup. I did the Painless harness as well. I did the replacement Jeep harness. Easy enough to do in a weekend.

and when you do it yourself, you can fix it later when something dies on the trail...

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
try here www.ezwiring.com I used the ezmini20 ita a great harness and costs less then the painless kit

·
Registered
17 Posts
Look into the EZ wire harness. I just finished a couple of weeks ago and it took close to a weekend to do, that was front to rear and the kicker was it was only 180 shipping included to my front door, verses the price of the painless kit. Plus it was really easy.

This was for a 71 cj5

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
If your going to do it yourself I used the Centech wiring harness. They are much cheeper and work really well. I did my simple cruiser in about 8hrs.

·
Registered
148 Posts
is the wire use printed along the length of each wire or is there just a label at each end? if printed along the entire length of each wire thats pretty sweet.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
The ez-wiring harness is labeled every 5 inches:D

·
Registered
266 Posts
Does the EZ wire kit have the correct plugs that go into the GM-style steering column? and the correct plug for the headlight switch/dimmer?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
yep:D

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I just dug up this pic from my archives of the ezmini20 harness

Attachments

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
My CJ6 got a '92 Camarro tilt column, so I ordered the universal harness with the chevy style connectors. The wires are continuously labeled along each wire and at the fuse box. I opted for the largest one they had because I can use the power door circuit and window circuit etc. for other things like rock lights. even the full dash of Autometer gauges and electric fuel pump have a built in circuit, and the column was a direct bolt on. The electric fan kit and H4 headlight kit were all inclusive also. Yes, there are cheaper kits, but I am verry happy with mine.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
wow, thanks for all the replies sounds like it won't be to bad of a project. I do have alot of accessories so I assume that kits are designed for them?

Now I am assuming those time quotes are for wiring only not a remove and replace.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yep a weekend for the whole thing. I am not an electrician and even a hack mechanic compared to most of the guys here, but I did it-no problem. I took a little longer because I made some changes and cleaned up the kit a bit (it was nice already, just me being anal). I used Painless and they have a real good tech line if you need it along the way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts