Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1990 burb with 10 bolts front and rear. I want to run 33 no bigger cause the truck will be built for the pismo dunes and daily driver duty's i plan to leave the front open and lock the rear what are the bigist week links in the these axle and will they old up to 33 and i only plan on building the motor to 300 to 350 rwhp rang and if i wen to one tones would i have to is ig just bolt in or what needs to change

·
Owner TWF
9,235 Posts
Like anything it's all how you wheel it. I have a buddy that has done great with a 10 bolt. But his isn't airing down to 2 psi and throwing 500 hp at it either.

If the dunes is the sand then you could prob get away with a dana 30 as sand is not going to grab like the rocks. My advice to anyone is wheel it until you bust it. Don't start out building or you will never get a chance to wheel. Ask me how I know...

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
1.) Delete this thread.
2.) Read the threads marked "Important" at the top of this forum.
3.) THen come back with your educated questions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the 10b will be just fine with 33's.

as fo rthe tons, seriously? this has been covered and you should know by now, youve been here 3 years.
yes i had a count but never used it i used it till know i have a f350 and i know ford axles and 4x4 sytems but i know nothing about chevy axles or 4x4 systems at all this is the frist chevy i have every owend so when it comes to chevy im a complete noob

·
Registered
146 Posts
My advice to anyone is wheel it until you bust it. Don't start out building or you will never get a chance to wheel. Ask me how I know...
Seriously, this. Too many people nowadays concerned with building the baddest and toughest shit, rather than just having fun wheelin and breakin the shit they have.

I still think you should get a 14SF at the first sign of trouble with the 10b. Usually the first sign of trouble with a 10b is a crashing, clanking, grinding noise, and possibly a mangled driveshaft.

i only plan on building the motor to 300 to 350 rwhp rang
Might want to consider a crate engine because the 350 TBI isn't exactly the platform to "build" to 350 wheel. Not that it can't be done, there's just better options out there.

Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea i would love to do a crate motor but i need to keep it smog legal and the fuel injections helps on the steep dunes i dont want to build the baddest 4x4 just one i cant take camping to the pismo dunes take it out have some fun and not have to worry about it braking the axles and still drive every day

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
wheel smart and itll be fine. you know they are not the strongest axle, so be easy on it and itll be fine for a while. if your easy on it and save a few bucks from every check you will have enough to put a 60 in it when it goes. enjoy

·
Registered
417 Posts
Its difficult to get 10 bolts to hold up to anything. They don't move on their own, they don't have oppose able thumbs. They rarely do anything.

I find I hold up 33s way better than 10 bolts.

You should probably skip rockwells and go straight to 5 ton stuff

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
ran 38s on my suburban with 10 botls for a few years. had minimal issues. if youre not doing high traction areas like mud and sand you will be fine. mine was for mud, i would ease on the throttle ease off. the one time i did break a front axle shaft on the ears was nailing the gas in 4low on gravel.

other then that my 10 bolts i been using for about 10 years, still to this day they are under a s10 with 33s.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
If you have a gov bomb it will live up to it's name very quickly... otherwise, run it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts