11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mo is legal, I just had to share the news :D

5.0 LEGAL california Toyota!

:D

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Brandon let us know what they were fussy about and what they wanted to see.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Way to go B-dawg... It's been a loooong road. Glad to see all that hard work finally payed off... Fawkin good job... :beer: :D:D

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Monkeyboy said:
Brandon let us know what they were fussy about and what they wanted to see.
well they take your rig around the building where you can't see it, ends up they are on the other side of the wall or the waiting area so you can feel the idle but can't hear what you are saying, an hour later they say pass or fail. First time my check engine light didn't work - but I allready knew that. I was more looking for a check list of what else I needed. They put it on the dyno and did the visual. All was well. Took like 3 months to figure out my computer was bad/wrong one to fix the check engine light and the diagnostic reader. Anwyay I did have all the stock engine stuff (unbolted it from the car and put it in my truck). Also took all 4 cats from the car, charcoal canister, and that is about it. Oh I ran the stock hot air pickup to my exhaust (not in the manifolds luckily). I did have to buy a Speed Sensor but I was allready getting a new speedo cable so that was the place. All in all it wasn't that bad. It just didn't help that I did all the axles, tranny, swapped to 23 spline cases with the newer adapter, all new autometer gauges in a custom dash, etc.. I know this is nothing compared to what most people whip out in a month on this board but I am married with kid and a wife that really is not into wheeling. Plus I built a jeep in while I was building my toy :)

It has nearly been 3 years though...

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
glad to hear that you got it legit. in your opinion do you think i twas worth the hassle?

·
Does yer dewg bite?
5,664 Posts
Good Job sucka:D

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mobil1syn said:
glad to hear that you got it legit. in your opinion do you think i twas worth the hassle?
there really was no hassle - I woulda hooked it up that way anyway..

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Just makes me glad to live somewhere that smog crap is not something I have to deal with...

Glad you got it all worked out :)

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DRM said:
Just makes me glad to live somewhere that smog crap is not something I have to deal with...

I never had any "smog" issues. Only reason it didn't pass first shot was my check engine light and diagnostic plug were dead as a result of a bad/wrong computer. Emmissions are soooo much further from the limits than the ol 22r..

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DRM said:

you've been down nearly as long as me - how is yours comin along?

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Brandon said:

you've been down nearly as long as me - how is yours comin along?
Add a second kid, and just imagine :)

Spring break is coming up - that means a full week of nights working on it ;)

Should be ready to roll by May latest - one way or another (I may start paying people to do work on it dangit! :( )

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
What tranny and what computer did you use to pass?

I am going to be running an NP435 and the motor I bought came with an computer for an auto.

I've heard this will work and some times works better, but will the Smog folks let it pass?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
So did you use the Ford auto trans or the stock Toy. I assume you use an AA adaptor? I've been kicking around the idea of doing that same swap on an FJ60 or 62. Got any pics?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts