Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am making a few parts for my truck and I have a cheap (free) source of carbon fiber. Have any of you worked with the stuff before? I have worked with fiberglass and I am assuming that the basic handling is similar. I plan to form the parts over a foam mold and vaccuum bag them and then dissolve the foam. anyone see any problems with this? thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
should work, I worked in a fiber glass place and a aircraft facility and it works about the same way as glass does good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, something I can finally add something to. I've worked with some carbon fiber at school, in fact we're building an electric car mostly out of carbon fiber. It sounds like you've got a pretty good grasp on how to use it and yes it is a lot like fiberglass (a very expensive fiberglass). Vacuum bagging is really the way to go with making this stuff look good, but it takes some time to get it right. We're just now starting to get the hang of it. Please post some pictures of whatever you make when you get it done.

hbar314, raw carbon fiber is a lot like fabric before you wet the epoxy into it, check ebay now and then for some or http://sollerpaddles.com/composites/ you can buy from them too.

·
Registered
854 Posts
This is Toyota tech........how?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Quote:Originally Posted by wv4runnerThis is Toyota tech........how?

Quote:Originally Posted by cavstoyi am making a few parts for my truck...

Actually I think carbon fiber could be a really practical thing for a crawler. There is a ricer site with video that shows a carbon fiber hood they made and they drove over it with a powerstroke with a trailer that had a car on it. The thing squished and popped back into shape instantly. Then they get three guys to jump of the bed of the truck right onto the same hood at the same time, not a scratch. Ill look for the link. If a guy got real good at it I bet hed make a killing with the Jeep guys and there never ending quest for BLING :laughing:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Carbon fiber is definitely a good thing for offroadin, lighter than fiberglass, stronger than steel.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
this isnt realy toyota tech but if he's making the parts for yotas it could be pritty bad ass.

you should try and fab high cut front fenders, hoods, bobbed beds and half doors...
i know that if you made some for a fist gen yota i would be interested

·
Registered
940 Posts
if you're doing a wet layup you've got it pretty much figured out. the biggest concern is gettin the vaccum bag sealed and smooth. i've played with both pre-preg and wet layup and wet layup is a much bigger mess, tho pre-preg is tougher to get consistant (burnish the hell out of it). we built an oven and vaccum bagged at about 15 psi... it takes quite a few test parts to get consistant resin flow through the parts, especially when using a core. course, getting all the materials for free is definitely the ticket to building goofy shit like hoods and stuff.

·
Registered
12,645 Posts
I have had carbon fiber boots for my inlines, and they were formed using heat. I had to heat them to 350, pull em out of the oven and then stick my foot in it, and form it to my contours. I imagine that is what has to be done to get the shapes you need. It's too bad, I have a material engineer in my family but I do not know him too well, and he is kinda too far away to chat with.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the stuff comes on a roll about 50 inches wide. I have access to both the plain weave and the twill which is very cosmetically pleasing. I do not have the access to the resin but that is no biggie. The small parts i have been messing with using leftovers from my last fiberglass experiment have come out great. I am thinking some high cut fenders and such. My first real part is going to be mt snorkel, just to get a better feel for the stuff. ought to look decent in 3k twill i think. i promise i will link pics when it gets started

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the stuff comes on a roll about 50 inches wide. I have access to both the plain weave and the twill which is very cosmetically pleasing. I do not have the access to the resin but that is no biggie. The small parts i have been messing with using leftovers from my last fiberglass experiment have come out great. I am thinking some high cut fenders and such. My first real part is going to be mt snorkel, just to get a better feel for the stuff. ought to look decent in 3k twill i think. i promise i will link pics when it gets started

1 - 15 of 15 Posts