Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Poseur SUV
23,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the Sask Needs Help thread I came across some information that there is a national Working Group from the Canadian Council of Motor Transport Administrators studying the "excessively raised vehicle" issue. Through the CCMTA website I came across this newsletter and found the name of the Chair of the working group, Daniel Filiatrault from ICBC. I sent him an e-mail and am posting that as well as his reply.

Sent: Friday, December 04, 2009 9:05 PM
To: Filiatrault, Daniel
Subject: Working Group on Excessively Raised Vehicles

Hello Daniel,

I was reading that you are the Chair of the Working Group on Excessively
Raised Vehicles for the CCMTA. As a concerned stakeholder I am wondering
if there is any avenue for public input on the issue and if there was a
way to see the minutes of these meetings.

Thank you,

Paul Gagnon
Sherwood Park, Alberta

Sent: Monday, December 7, 2009 10:32 AM

Dear Mr. Gagnon:

A technical working group has been assembled by the Canadian Council of
Motor Transport Administrators ("the CCMTA working group") to examine
the safety issues associated with excessively raised vehicles. It is
anticipated that the scope of the work will involve preparing a best
practice document before the CCMTA Annual Meeting in May 2010. The CCMTA
working group intends to make arrangements to obtain feedback from
stakeholders should a draft version of the document be prepared by March
2010. In the interim, the CCMTA working group welcomes input from all
stakeholders with an interest in highway safety. As such I would
encourage you to provide a written summary of concerns that you as a
vehicle owner and/or member affiliated with a 4x4 club may have which
could be considered by the CCMTA working group in developing a best
practice document.

Thank you for taking an interest in the CCMTA working group.

Daniel Filiatrault, Chair
Excessively Raised Vehicle Technical Working Group
Canadian Council of Motor Transport Administrators
As I mentioned in one of the other threads about the proposed Saskatchewan legislation, the main issue I have is with the seemingly arbitrary selection of a single tire size, regardless of the vehicle it is being installed on, as the de facto defining characteristic. The rest of the legislation seems reasonable.

I think we should discuss what the our concerns are before passing them along to the along to the working group.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Now, thats what ive been told by a few people. One guy got a ticket for illigal tires. Ill look more into it after the weekend. Ill also see on Ontario has any laws on this.

·
Registered
107 Posts
yeah thats great thanks I have to check all the provincial laws before i make my cross Canada trip next xmas when i am done my build.:smokin:
I cant wait to go try the trails in LaRose forest in the summer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
yeah thats great thanks I have to check all the provincial laws before i make my cross Canada trip next xmas when i am done my build.:smokin:
I cant wait to go try the trails in LaRose forest in the summer.
LaRose forest here in Ontario??? I was told it was closed to everything except 4 wheelers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ya... bunch of idiots kept terring it up with trucks and dirt bikes. Sucks for the local clubs that try and keep the trails in good shape! I just started going on bigger trails around here. I joined a local off road club when I bought my ZR2. Hopefully this summer ill be going to North agusta, and if im ready, possibly compete for fun.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ya... bunch of idiots kept terring it up with trucks and dirt bikes. Sucks for the local clubs that try and keep the trails in good shape! I just started going on bigger trails around here. I joined a local off road club when I bought my ZR2. Hopefully this summer ill be going to North agusta, and if im ready, possibly compete for fun.
Have you ever been to hellsgate? near kemptville?:evil:

·
Registered
12,271 Posts
LaRose forest here in Ontario??? I was told it was closed to everything except 4 wheelers.

Yeah, and if you go there with a 4 wheeler the trail cops stop you twice an hour for permit and vehicle checks. It's become beyond ridiculous.

:shaking:

·
Registered
107 Posts
BTW, thanks Paul. We'll get our local club on board (some of them are on here too).
I haven t been out there in years I guess things have changed!

thats why i have been riding in bc even a lot of place in Alberta here are tightening up the regs because of careless people in the rockies...prime example McClean creak and Waiparous. mind you Its been 4 years or so since ive rode there

·
Poseur SUV
23,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Guys, if someone wants to start a thread about current regulations across the country please feel free to do so but I'd like to keep this thread focussed on the Working Group on Excessively Raised Vehicles and discussion about what it means for the future and how we can make our voices heard.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Unfortunately, you can say whatever you want on the Pirate 4x4, even if it isnt true. There is no tire size limit in Quebec. There is a regulation about ’’mechanical lift’’ (Suspension or body lift) which uses a complicated formula based on wheel base,stock tire size and stock ride height. there is also a regulation about ’’Pneumatic lift’’ which uses a calculation based on wheel base and stock tires size. Tires must not contact the bodywork or chassis of a vehicule. You also cannot legally cut or weld a vehicules chassis in Quebec (drilling holes is frowned upon but accepted), which means you are pretty limited in terms of suspension mods. these decisions are made by the Societe d’Assurance Automobile du Quebec. They dont care about what the
truck-jacking, import-tuning taxpayers, want their decisions are made by engineers that work for a government run insurance company. If you want to start modifying a vehicule you had better start by talking to an inspector to see what is acceptable, either listen to what he says or buy a trailer and tow rig. As well, your insurance company probably wont pay if you have an accident with a modified vehicule, and you can be held criminally and civilly responsible for negligence if some is injured or dies because of a vehicule modification.

This Working Group on Excessive Raised Vehicules is eventually just gonna tell you to get a trailer and tow rig for your Too Tall Big Boy Toy.

·
Poseur SUV
23,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Unfortunately, you can say whatever you want on the Pirate 4x4, even if it isnt true. There is no tire size limit in Quebec. There is a regulation about ’’mechanical lift’’ (Suspension or body lift) which uses a complicated formula based on wheel base,stock tire size and stock ride height. there is also a regulation about ’’Pneumatic lift’’ which uses a calculation based on wheel base and stock tires size. Tires must not contact the bodywork or chassis of a vehicule. You also cannot legally cut or weld a vehicules chassis in Quebec (drilling holes is frowned upon but accepted), which means you are pretty limited in terms of suspension mods. these decisions are made by the Societe d’Assurance Automobile du Quebec. They dont care about what the
truck-jacking, import-tuning taxpayers, want their decisions are made by engineers that work for a government run insurance company. If you want to start modifying a vehicule you had better start by talking to an inspector to see what is acceptable, either listen to what he says or buy a trailer and tow rig. As well, your insurance company probably wont pay if you have an accident with a modified vehicule, and you can be held criminally and civilly responsible for negligence if some is injured or dies because of a vehicule modification.

This Working Group on Excessive Raised Vehicules is eventually just gonna tell you to get a trailer and tow rig for your Too Tall Big Boy Toy.
I don't know why you are angry but the Working Group on Excessively Raised Vehicles wants to hear from us. This thread was started to create a discussion on the topic. Nobody is trying to get them to allow unsafe vehicles on the road but as stakeholders I thought that some of you might want to have some input.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I am not angry, I am just being realistic. Once the concerned government agencies decide to crack down on suspension lifts and big rubber (and they will, eventually) we will all have a bunch of trailer queens that we cant even drive anywhere because they will be illegal on road and there will be nowhere left to go 4 wheeling after the Land management agencies have closed all the trails. Remember when you where a kid and you rode around in the box of your dad’s pickup and rode your bike without a helmet and all that good old fashion fun thats now illegal. The good old days are soon becoming a thing of the past.

It is now impossible to plate an imported RHD vehicule in Quebec. Why? Because it became popular, just like lifted trucks are becoming popular.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am not angry, I am just being realistic. Once the concerned government agencies decide to crack down on suspension lifts and big rubber (and they will, eventually) we will all have a bunch of trailer queens that we cant even drive anywhere because they will be illegal on road and there will be nowhere left to go 4 wheeling after the Land management agencies have closed all the trails. Remember when you where a kid and you rode around in the box of your dad’s pickup and rode your bike without a helmet and all that good old fashion fun thats now illegal. The good old days are soon becoming a thing of the past.

This negative attitude is why this country is going the way it is ... remember when Ontario tried the photo radar cams in the last decade? people did not stand for it and it was booted out... why can't people stand up for what they believe in like this? there are lots of people using trails all over Canada if we all let our voices be heard, we can make a difference and keep the areas we love within reason.:mr-t:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts