Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Decided to take off the rear and do some work. Here is a list of what I will be doing.
A. Grind off all the rust on leafs, axle and calipers
B. Shaving an inch off the bottom for more clearance
C. Cut and Add new Solid Diff Armor. (http://www.solidaxle.com/products/diffcovers.htm)
D. Prime and Paint everything Black of coarse
E. Prime and Paint frame
F. Add bumpstops
G. Bleed the breaks
H. Remove diff. breather nipple. It's loose because the threads are stripped.(Since junk yard.)
I. Drill and Re tap the threads for the Breather.
J. Add new breather nipple and attach hose and run up high on frame.
Pictures from todays work

·
Registered
224 Posts
Nice...

So are you shaving a inch off the housing? How do you go about that? Just curious on the process.
See the grinder on the ground in the second picture?

You can grind or sawzall off quite a bit of material from the bottom. I did the same to a 14B I had for another project. You can use the diff cover as a guide and cut all the way until it's just about flush with the housing as illustrated in the last picture.

Almost like this: O > (_)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I have been wanting to shave this sucker down. I got a new Diff plate. Its like going up one size in tire for my boat anchor. :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before

After 2 1/2 Hours of grinding and still not half way down.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Nice! I am almost ready to drive the truck out of my garage. Still lots of work to do, but I will get it moving under it's own power. I will be hitting you up when I am done so we can run Devil's Canyon.
Kaistie
Nate

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice, Yea, I know you said you where working close to where you and I could drive out half way and meet at the trail head. Can't run it now, but maybe in a few months. Get that baby done. Where are you at with the truck now?

·
Registered
839 Posts
hey can i come check this out sometime?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Nice, Yea, I know you said you where working close to where you and I could drive out half way and meet at the trail head. Can't run it now, but maybe in a few months. Get that baby done. Where are you at with the truck now?

I should be able to drive it out of the garage this weekend. Still waiting on the crawler and new clutch though. Once that comes in I can install and get the front driveline done. For now it is in poser 2wd, but I can get it to the lube shop and have all the fluids flushed and replaced. I also want to check all the clearances before I full weld everything. Maybe Josh will let me go over to his shop and use the forklifts:smokin: I should be ready by mid October at the rate I am going.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Still waiting on the crawler....
:eek: HOLY S**T :eek: Sorry to hear that, I know how much you've been waiting for it to get here. WTF. Wow I was joking that if I had ordered one I might get it around Halloween, guess I wouldn't have been too far off. Well, I did order one, one from Jim that is. I ordered it on a Thursday and had it the following week. Still a few more things to wrap up, then it's awn after I get back from Moab.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:eek: HOLY S**T :eek: Sorry to hear that, I know how much you've been waiting for it to get here. WTF. Wow I was joking that if I had ordered one I might get it around Halloween, guess I wouldn't have been too far off. Well, I did order one, one from Jim that is. I ordered it on a Thursday and had it the following week. Still a few more things to wrap up, then it's awn after I get back from Moab.
Hey Mike, have fun in Moab. Wish I was going this year. Next year, I have AZ, UT, And Norcal on my list and top it off at the hammers.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey can i come check this out sometime?
Where do you live. I work on it on weekdays mainly. I live in Clairemont. PM me your # and I can call you.

·
Registered
839 Posts
im in poway or solana beach. weekdays are fine. number is 8582184848

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A little update. Should be done by the end of the week.

Before

After

10AM on my day off. Waiting for the Primer to dry.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Painted

·
Registered
623 Posts
Dang, that thing looks brand new. Did you do any cutting, or did you just grind the whole thing?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I finally switched to a grinding stone, cut deep grooves then grinding it down. Seems to work the best. Took off almost an inch. Thanks. Now I need to tap the breather hole to 3/8 and put in the new nipple and hose and filter. Bolt it back to the truck, take the tires off, and paint the outer and calipers. And bleed the hell out of the brakes and dump a gallon of gear oil in and ready to go.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Its pretty much done.

·
Registered
623 Posts
That's a blingin diff cover. I may have to order one for mine when it finally gets worked on.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts