Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a stock 60 yoke (i havent measured it but assume its a 1310 u joint). Im getting tom woods super flex joint which has a warrenty if it breaks.

Would it be worth it to ugpgrade my yokes to a 1350/1410?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I went 1350 up front. I can't say that I broke a 1310 but for the money it's a nice upgrade. I went with Northwestfab. Was pleased.

·
Registered
623 Posts
We run 1410's on the buggies because they go to 30+ degrees in stock form, and they are plenty strong. The downside is they take up a bunch of space and aren't avalable for many applications.. plus the added weight. If you're not breaking something, and it works for your application, then you don't need to upgrade it (that's common sense). That said, I personally would never run a fullsize truck with 1 ton running gear on less than 1350 joints all around. I know for a fact I would break them.

Hans

·
Registered
824 Posts
the 1410 is a nice joint due to its ability to handle up to 30 degrees like HS said. ansd its super strong but not unbreakable... I broke mine, but it took a 6000lb k5 bouncing off a rock repeatedly to do it. this was on the rear.. i had the stock 1310 on the front with stock driveshaft and it held up fine to that beating...

·
Registered
293 Posts
wait till you break it, i personally dont have enough power to break the front 1310 on my pieced together driveshaft. Major axle hop (air) over logs in a mud pit then landed on it and it still did not break. It is the smallest shaft on the truck though. I have layed it on rocks/logs and put rounded groove marks on it so im sticking with a 1310 for clearance.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive got a '90 dana 60. What is the stock yoke? 1310 or 1350? I measured and its just shy of 3 1/2" for the joint width. The dana 60 bible lists the 1310 at 3.2" and 1350 at 3.6". Anyone know whats stock?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
i would like to keep a stock 1310 joint in the front to have a planned breakage point. a simple $10 u-joint is a lot easier to fix on the trail than a broken inner shaft. just my .02

·
Registered
689 Posts
That seems to be how things go in this sport. Hell, thats how my whole truck went from 1/2 to 1Ton. Break it then upgrade. Overkill parts can be nice to have, but why spend the money if you dont need to?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
First of all, I will say that I have yet to break the 1310 u-joint that's on my front D60. This also the smallest u-joint on the truck.

The next thing I will say is that you are lucky if the u-joint lets go and does not break or tweak anything else. A friend of mine broke a 1310 u-joint on the front shaft (42" tires, big block, fullsize truck) and it let the shaft swing around, dent the trans pan, and knock a chunk out of the trans housing causing a big leak. Another guy broke a 1310 u-joint on the rear shaft at the diff (yes, it was a Jeep) and it broke off the u-joint retaining tabs on the yoke. Basically there was nothing to restrain the new u-joint side to side besides the tension of the straps. A broken u-joint usually also screws up the straps or u-bolts.......or at least makes getting the bolts out pretty tough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts