Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was at a run two weeks ago and I noticed my power steering was a little low. There was a guy there that seemed knowledgeable and confident that told me that ATF fluid and power steering fluid were basically the same thing, after all they are both hydraulic systems. I poured in about 1/3 of a quart of ATF fluid to top it off.

I got a chance to wheel again yesterday and after it heated it up the power steering started to squeal like a stuck pig. Letting it cool helped but as soon as it heated up again it started to squeal again. When I checked the fluid in the reservoir it had small bubbles on the top of the fluid.

The motor/power steering pump is from a 1995 ZJ (Grand Cherokee). It powers a chief ram using a Danfoss orbital.

Pics:
The ram
Power steering pump (toward front) and extra reservoir (yellow cylinder)

Other than low fluid, what would cause it to squeal like that?

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
I'll get shit over this but, as they are hydraulic fluids, there is a reason that one is labled POWER STEERING fluid and the other AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION fluid. Flush out the system and put the POWER STEERING fluid back in. they do have different characteristics

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
first you need to move everything away from your header and then call howell and get their fluid for you set up, i went through the same thing
and moving the system away from my header resolved most of it

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
KWTMECH said:
I'll get shit over this but, as they are hydraulic fluids, there is a reason that one is labled POWER STEERING fluid and the other AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION fluid. Flush out the system and put the POWER STEERING fluid back in. they do have different characteristics
While this is true, some steering systems use ATF, such as my toyota.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well then like your Toyota which takes ATF for the system then it's alright to run ATF in it. But if you have a system that has power steering fluid in it, then you should run power steering fluid. Basically I would say just run one or the other, which ever one yours takes, or had in it already. Which for the topic was power steering fluid to begin with. I would get rid of all of the ATF in there and put power steering fluid back in because thats what it had originally. Like you said, they are both hydraulic fluid, but yeah they do have different characteristics. And in your case, you found out that the two don't mix well because it squealed once you mixed the two.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts