Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy and I are starting to do some planning on link setups. We will be running pretty similar rigs. Mine is a '94 YJ going to have a 509ci Caddy TH400/NP203/NP205 D60/14FF 42" TSLs. My buddy is working on a '04 Rubicon with a Pro Street 454/TH400/NP203/NP205 44" Boggers D60/14FF. We both plan on using 1" or 1.25" heims (I myself want the_twister's heims) but we're not sure what to do on the other end. We have looked at the various options such as Wrangler leaf spring bushings, XJ spring bushings, XJ control arm bushings, etc. but we are worried the 1/2" or 9/16" bolt is too small, as we have read on many posts that people are breaking them. To me it just seems strange to run a massive heim joint on one end and a dinky 1/2" bolt bushing on the other.

Today we found this bushing. Overall length is 3.5" uses a 15/16" bolt, overall diameter is 2". Sleeved inside and outside, with 1/4" of hard rubber surrunded the inner sleeve. We don't have much stuff to play with right now, but we'll look into pressing it into some size of machined pipe or tube, thus it would be easy to replace if the inside bushing wears out.

Pros: Massive bolt, good thickness on inner and outer sleeves, replaceable.
Cons: Possibly not enough rubber, may require machining a pice of tube/pipe to press inside of.

Just looking as to some feedback as if this would work good or not for some people with link building and performing experience. Enough chit chat, here's some pics.

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TheRipper said:
Measure the inside of the bushing without the metal sleeve maybe you can run tractor supply grade 8 1" bolts then.I figure we are in Texas blake bigger is better here.

I would imagine leaving the inside sleeve would make the rubber part last much longer.

·
Registered
647 Posts
TexasBlake said:
Cause the heims I want cost almost three times as much as this bushing.

Very understandable! It doesn't appear from the pic that the bushing is removable...

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
crapzuk said:
Very understandable! It doesn't appear from the pic that the bushing is removable...
The whole assembly would be pressed into a sleeve, which is then welded on the link. Thus, if it wears out, you could press the old one out and press a new one in.

But anyway, that is not my main concern. My main concern is whether enough there is enough rubber material. The rubber seems much stiffer than normal automotive bushings.

·
Vertical Limits
5,037 Posts
:eek:
literally, completely apart. Let the heim end remain wristed (no lock nut) and the bushing being stiff will benefit you. more control. also, if it doesn't have enough movement for a droop compression direction, the rubber can just tear loose. That bolt might be hard to come by. just maybe not as hard to come by as money for evo joints

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
anyone who can afford to pay cash for a new runbicon and then completely tear it appart to make it a cheep (jeep skin with 1-ton chevy guts) can afford to run heims on both ends of his links.

j

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
jekbrown said:
anyone who can afford to pay cash for a new runbicon and then completely tear it appart to make it a cheep (jeep skin with 1-ton chevy guts) can afford to run heims on both ends of his links.

j

Blake can't.

Any maybe the guy who bought the Rubicon bought it partially stripped, or with a burnt out drivetrain, or maybe it was stolen (They *ARE* near Mexico). Just cause it's an 04 Rubicon doesn't mean it was bought new for 30k.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts