Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has a 92 4 door S-Blazer. It has a 4.3, 700r4, power everything... The body is in good shape with some rust(rocker, fender)..
Now here are the kickers. The tranny is shot and out. BUt my friend works at a garage and he said he can fix it for $500... And the last kicker is, the blazer has a lot of miles on it! Somewhere in the 200K to 300K range(will get an close mileage soon)... My friend bought it off of another friends parents. The fatehr drove it back and forth to work which was an hour commute each way, so most of the miles are highway miles...

I can get this real cheap!

What do you think about it and what would you pay? Also, what do you think it is worth? Nada and KBB says $3300.....

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
200-300k? Holy chit! There has to have been some motor work done to it somewhere. I have seen motors go that far, but not many. Usualy they chit the bed about 130K if they have been beat on, and 170k if they were babied. Good thing is, if there hasn't been any motor work done, that you could probably talk them down to $2000-$2500 since it will need a new motor soon, and the fact that the tranny is out of it.

While the tranny is out, have them build it to handle a V-8. Drive the Blazer around for awhile and when the motor goes south, replace it with a V-8.

When you get really sick of driving it around and having to fix IFS stuff all the time, cut out the IFS and bolt in a Dana 44.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
FYRMAN said:
200-300k? Holy chit! There has to have been some motor work done to it somewhere. I have seen motors go that far, but not many. Usualy they chit the bed about 130K if they have been beat on, and 170k if they were babied. Good thing is, if there hasn't been any motor work done, that you could probably talk them down to $2000-$2500 since it will need a new motor soon, and the fact that the tranny is out of it.

While the tranny is out, have them build it to handle a V-8. Drive the Blazer around for awhile and when the motor goes south, replace it with a V-8.

When you get really sick of driving it around and having to fix IFS stuff all the time, cut out the IFS and bolt in a Dana 44.
Well supoosedly, "Nothing Major" has been done to the Blazer...

·
Registered
323 Posts
FYRMAN said:
200-300k? Holy chit! There has to have been some motor work done to it somewhere. I have seen motors go that far, but not many. Usualy they chit the bed about 130K if they have been beat on, and 170k if they were babied.
Is that just for the Blazer engine, or most engine you have dealt with? Most engines that I have seen beat on last well over 150,000, babied, well, keep going. Guy I know with a Ranger has over 300,000 on the clock, no major work. Mine is at around 160,000, my fathers was at 250,000 when he pulled it (shop couldn't figure out why he pulled it with nothing wrong, he got an unexpected bonus from work). My wife's only went 130,000 miles because the lady that owned it before us blew a radiator house, and kept driving it:rolleyes: .

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Sidewalk said:
Guy I know with a Ranger has over 300,000 on the clock, no major work.

And we are talking about S-series Blazers with the 4.3L V6 and the 700R4 tranny.

I beat the fuck out of mine and spun the rod bearing at 136,000 miles.

·
Registered
323 Posts
That is why I was asking. I don't know much about the Chevy engines, and I am not into the Ford vs Chevy thing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am getting a 76 k-10 with 450k miles. There is something wrong with the fuel system right now, but I filled the carb bowl with gas and started it and it runs fine. The engine has never been apart. I don't even think the valve covers have ever been off. It has only had 1 owner, so as far as I know what they told me about it is correct.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
My father in law just bought a 97 C2500 that has 250k on it, doesnt blow smoke runs smooth and everything, It seems to be really sound for a high miler!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah I would be afraid, that's a lot of miles highway or otherwise. Just remember that's how many miles are on the whole rig. I'm not saying after you get it'll crap out just be aware that it could, If you could talk him waaay down in price then I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well if anyone is interested, this Blazer is up for sale. I have a post in the Vehicles FOr Sale section. The price is or B.O.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts