Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, sorry to be misleading on the title and all :D but the po stripped the crap out of the fill plug on my rearend. It's pretty much round and it's on there really tight. I can't get it off so I was wondering what you guys would suggest. I'm also wondering if I can fill the diff through the breather hole? Sorry if this is too newbie a question, I wanted answers from the toyota pros :D and can't drive it until I figure it out. Thanks!

·
Change is good.
35,184 Posts
Weld another nut on it.

Yes if you take the breather out.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Filling from the vent's a PITA, weld a small bar to the fill plug, & turn it out.

Or sometimes a chisel & hammer work to spin it out.

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I tried and it looks like the po did too. Thanks though. If I can't get it out from the outside can I get it out from the inside by pulling the diff?

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
You couldn't get something to weld to it or you don't have a welder?
*EDIT* We posted concurrently. Since you don't have a welder, what about using a cut-off wheel to make a slot in the plug, then turn out with a screwdriver?

I don't think getting it out from the inside would be any easier.

·
Registered
271 Posts
you can always weld a small piece of tube or rod to it, then you can get leverage on it.

Vice grips are another option

Sacrifice an old socket: get a socket that is too small and hammer it on there.... sometimes that works....

last resort: angle grinder - just be very careful!!!

when you are done, buy a bunch of the low profile drain plugs (offered by marlin, trail-gear, All Pro) and put them in the drain and fill spots. They are inexpensive and you won't have the same problem again.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have stripped lots of fill and drain plugs. I have used craftsman bolt outs everytime. they work great, no welding. Just pound the bolt out on there with a hammer and hook up the impact.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
You could try a pipe wrench. Normaly when the Vise grips just aren't enough the pipe wrench will dig in more, plus you can get them hooked up and beat on them with a hammer pretty well. I know it's a small surface, but if you are careful it should work. You have a tourch? Could try LIGHTLY heating the housing right around the plug. be careful with that though.

·
Registered
14,413 Posts
Cold chisel set against the flat and knock it around to "screw" it out...

PO did the same thing to the front axle on my truck... :shaking:

·
Registered
113 Posts
you could heat it a little, with a torch, even the heat from grinding a notch in it might do it. i would say crank down the vise grips though and use them, if you cant turn it with you arms stick it on there are use your foot to push on the vicegrips.

ive never strippes a fill plug, why cant people put a wrench on there straight? if a socket is seated right you wont have a problem, or if you cant hold a ratchet straight get a damn wrench.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
91sastoy said:
I have stripped lots of fill and drain plugs. I have used craftsman bolt outs everytime. they work great, no welding. Just pound the bolt out on there with a hammer and hook up the impact.
Using an impact on a highly hardened material like a bolt out is a BAD IDEA. You are very likely to break the tool because it is extremely brittle.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
TheBandit said:
Using an impact on a highly hardened material like a bolt out is a BAD IDEA. You are very likely to break the tool because it is extremely brittle.
Not to mention, the grabbing power of the socket is lost with inpact. It just helps strip it out more

air hammer :D Do it all the time at work... just make sure you have one with a nice trigger.

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm leaving work and will post later tonight what ends up working (I'm being optimistic :D )

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,737 Posts
You know what causes this---12-point sockets, 12-point box end wrenches, opened end wrenches; Mexican socket sets (adjustable wrenches). Use only 6-point sockets and box end wrenches. Do not have any six-point sockets, go to HF and buy a set of impact sockets for about 10-15 dollars!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts