Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 329 Posts

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Current Status:

I've posted a few times on here about suggestions for a TJ build. Well, I took the first big step today and bought the engine/trans/xfer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320172077147

My '98 TJ will be getting the above powerplant/trans. It will be mated to a D60 front and a 14B rear. I hope to make it both interstate roadworthy and "trail ready". The 6.0L should provide more than enough power (365 H.P.) and the 6 speed auto trans (very low first gear) should be great offroad. Plus the engine has the VVT for better MPG, supposedly.

The engine will ship out tomorrow and should arrive within a week or so from Schram's. Then, I will be sending the OE harness/ECU to either Howell or Speartech. Both have competitive quotes at about $800 to rework the harness and program the ECU.

Next, I will try to source the axles (need driver's drop D60 if anyone has one laying around and a 14B). I am going to try to use the OE transfer case. I think it would be slick to have an electric t-case selector. I know there are problems with those and I'm open to your feedback, so let me have it!

.brit

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
go look out east for a drivers side drop front d60. Basically from any one ton ford. I got mine from virginia for 1100 from a junk yard. the thing was in great shape!(no lockers or gears, just stock). the same axle out west averages 2000.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
go look out east for a drivers side drop front d60. Basically from any one ton ford. I got mine from virginia for 1100 from a junk yard. the thing was in great shape!(no lockers or gears, just stock). the same axle out west averages 2000.
What's a good year model to chase after? I can still get a high pinion, right?

.brit

·
Registered
879 Posts
you want a 78-79 ford D60. It will have both kingpins and high pinion. In addition the drivers side axle tub is longer so it will fit better in you tj then say a 80's style D60.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you want a 78-79 ford D60. It will have both kingpins and high pinion. In addition the drivers side axle tub is longer so it will fit better in you tj then say a 80's style D60.
Awesome info. That's exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks. I'll see what I can dig up on car-part.com.

·
Registered
85 Posts
check out www.tennesseoffroad.com I think a guy is selling about 10 front dana 60s on there in the forums. Hes selling them for about $900 I think...

Then on southernjeeps.org a guy is selling everything to make a running jeep on one tons for $1100. It's a frame axles that kinda stuff. But it's late model ford stuff.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
check out www.tennesseoffroad.com I think a guy is selling about 10 front dana 60s on there in the forums. Hes selling them for about $900 I think...

Then on southernjeeps.org a guy is selling everything to make a running jeep on one tons for $1100. It's a frame axles that kinda stuff. But it's late model ford stuff.
The ones on TNOffroad are Chevy's. Will those work as well as the Ford axles? I know I won't be able to get HP in the Chevy's, right?

.brit

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
14g

I still need to know whether a 14B from a 1989 GMC 3500 SRW work for the rear. Anyone know? I have one lined up if so. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
yes it will work. it will measure 65. a front ford 78, 79 60 measures 67. great setup. keep watching classifieds there are 60 all the time in there. run full width and get around 5" on your wheels for backspacing and it will drive great.if you do a build post it in hardcore.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info. Again, exactly what I needed to hear.

I am a web designer, so there will be a ton of coverage on this build. I will start a build thread, but the good content will be on www.wranglerhd.com, which I registered this morning. The site will be built as a community effort in building a Jeep. Each step/product in the build will have a place for conversation. Hopefully there will be enough interest in the site that it will be useful for others in the future who may be considering the same options.

The information on this site is great, but it's a little difficult to search through thousands of posts for the specific answer (situation) I'm looking for.

.brit

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I picked up a recently rebuilt 14B over the weekend. I will end up going through it completely anyway, but I felt it was a pretty good deal so I went ahead and snagged it up. It has some surface rust so I'm going to cut off all of the brackets, remove the drums, and have it sand blasted. Then, I plan on installing the BTF truss system. I may also use their coilover mounts. I plan on running 16" coilovers right now, but I'm sure that could change a thousand times before I turn on the TIG.

.brit

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The engine should be in Wednesday or Thursday.

I spoke with Advance Adapters today and they said that I would not be able to use the OEM GM transfer case like I had hoped. I was pumped about having a little button to shift the xfer, but I'm probably much better off without it anyway. The reason the GM xfer will not work is due to no available SYE's for it. Obviously they're trying to sell me an Atlas, but there's a pretty hefty price tag on those. :mad3:

I'm leaning toward just going with the Atlas. AA has been good at answering my engine swap questions so far, so I do feel some loyalty to them.

Any feedback on the xfer issue?

thanks,
.brit

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Christmas came early

The engine/trans came in today. Wow, it's bigger than I expected. :D

I have been talking to Advance Adapters about their motor mounts and transfer case (Atlas or adapter). They are saying that there is no way to use the OE GM transfer case due to no SYE being available for it. I was really wanting to use that transfer case for a few reasons (cost, electric shift, durability). Can anyone shed an alternative opinion on this? I'm hesitant to drop nearly $3k (with cable shift) on the Atlas.

By the way, I feel like this was quite a score on the deal. This thing only has 2 miles on it!

Transfer removed from trans

GM OE transfer case

·
Registered
285 Posts
sell that transfer to recoupe some of the cost of buying that drivetrain...buy the atlas you wont be dissapointed. Best of luck, killer motor!:smokin:

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
what about a NVG241, or use your stock T-case from the jeep. Im thinking its just a spline adapter. I could be wrong.

The casing of your gm case and a nvg 241,231,or rubicon 241 look so similar. I even heard of people swappin out the guts of 241 and installing them in 231. Lots of aftermarket support for the 231. Not to weak. But by the time you do a fully built monster 231, you are approaching the price of an atlas. im sure you can make your own cable shifters.

1 - 20 of 329 Posts