Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
93 yj, short shaft gear, sye kit

i went to put my speedogear back in the other day, 1/4 of the o0ring was missing, everything lined up right, including the number of teeth with the mounting tab. speedometer worked for about 5 minutes then crapped out. teeth onthe gear were smashed in. got another gear and tried it out again. same thing. so i replaced the oring and now it sat as it should, and level, not in too deep as the o-ring stops it from going in too far. so i went to test it out today.... same thing, didnt even get out of the driveway and the teeth were smashed in.

worm gear on the tcase shaft are not boogered, and the gear is in the right spot.....

why does it keep doing this? anyone had this stupid problem before, what am i doing wrong?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
interesting thought, my friend's durango (d60 rear) has a ABS senson on top of the diff, like in my 8.8. his abs senson is what gives him his speed, so could i extend the wires on my current tcase speedo set up, and plug in at the rear diff?

·
Registered
442 Posts
If the metal tab is in the little grooves on the outside of the speedo holder and you have a new O ring. Maybe your cable is binding up causing it to stick? Try turning the speedo gear and make sure it is smooth.
Also when you say put it back in, did you just do the SYE kit? If so and it worked before the SYE kit something wasnt put together correctly. Are you sure the inner gears were all put on right? It is a pretty simple straight forward install though.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah. SYE was done about 2 months ago. worked fine for a long time. when this started happening was when i took the back half of the tcase (no gears moved) off and resealed it, and the tailcone. everything went back in right that came off, AKA the worm gear and the two snap rings holding it in.... gonna go pull it back out in a bit.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i got it working, here's how. firstof all, the rear of the jeep is on jack stands. i am using a 39 tooth gear, so the 39-45 slot should be angled downwards. tried it like that. tried gently spinning the tire, i can feel/hear it locking up and popping. so i start spinning the gear, and it works properly when it is about lined with the slot for 30-34, so i guess somethin on mineis all boogered up, which is weird, but eh, it works now.

·
Registered
442 Posts
That was a good point about lining it up with the right line, I forgot about that. Glad you got er fixed.

·
Registered
308 Posts
well here we are six months later and I finally got under my jeep to tale a look at my speedo sensor. I pulled it out and clocked 180 degrees and it now works. On a 94 YJ the small yellow 30 gear is off center and will not engage the other gear. I never munched mine because I simply got lucky. I had it 180 out instead of 90 dgrees out like yours. Thanks for the info. Damn...I should have done this months ago!!! The jeep kept stalling...check engine light...no speedo.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts