Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
putting wrangler springs in my cj5 anybody done this? i need a little help with mounting points

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
the only thing you need to change on the frame is the front bolt on shackle hanger. you will also need new spring plates for your u-bolts because the springs will be wider in the front. as far as the springs conside using cj rears in the front and rear. in a springover setup i have had better luck with these than the wranglers. just my op.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i put wrangler springs in back but my motor makes my front springs flat. why cj7 springs?

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: GRNCJ5 ]

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
i have run wagoneer springs, wrangler springs, stock cj rear springs, and now jc whitney 7leaf hd cj rear springs on my jeep and the cj springs have held up with less sagging and leaf bending than the others. i ran the stock cj rears for like 3 or 4 years of hard use and they worked great. when i put on the stock wranglers i sagged one of them bad the first time i flexed them real good. i also ended up bending one of them too but i really don't think that was the fault of the spring. anyway the cj springs seem to have a bit more arch, they still flex like crazy, seem to last longer without sagging, etc. like i said i have run a number of different setups and i by far have had the best luck with the rear cj's.

·
Registered
45 Posts
GRNCJ5,

Is your jeep a older shorty? I have a '55 and was thinking about a longer spring also. I do not know if I could run cj7 springs on my rig without too much modification.

T

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I am running CJ7 laredo Rears all around. Thes spring in my opinion are the best u can run. They are military wraped for the slim chance that u break a leaf. They are 6 leaf and they flex like crazy I would highly recomend these to any one considering soa. EFICJ 5.0 the only hard thing about changing springs is getting the stock mounts off. Thay are a real pain in the ass. It took me quite a while to get them off with a torch and grinder. I found the easiest thing to do was to torch off the rivets holding the mounts on then grind the welds and then beat it like a red headed step child. Then just buy some factory mounts from 4WDH.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Originally posted by Bgcj5:
<STRONG>I am running CJ7 laredo Rears all around. Thes spring in my opinion are the best u can run. They are military wraped for the slim chance that u break a leaf. They are 6 leaf and they flex like crazy I would highly recomend these to any one considering soa. EFICJ 5.0 the only hard thing about changing springs is getting the stock mounts off. Thay are a real pain in the ass. It took me quite a while to get them off with a torch and grinder. I found the easiest thing to do was to torch off the rivets holding the mounts on then grind the welds and then beat it like a red headed step child. Then just buy some factory mounts from 4WDH.</STRONG>

what year is yours? on 76 up cj's you only have to change the hanger that the shackle mounts to and it is bolt on.....

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Mine is a 72 orginaly with 1" wide springs so it took a little bit of work to gring them off and replace them with 2.5 springs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts