Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am traying to install Mog axles on my Jeep TJ. I am locking of somme foto of this modification. How do you fixe the arms ? what is the ride quality ?Do you have fotos of disk brake systeme do you use. Wenn is possible, I don't like to go with the 8 lugs wheels, they are expensives and not easy to find here in Switzerland. I 'd like to go with 5 or 6 lugs wheel. The choice is more important Any info or help will be welcome.
Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
blk87K5 said:
I think you will regret switching from built D60's to MOGS.
Why do meen that I will regret the switching ?
The 60 are heavy too and I loose a lot of clearance because they are big. On my minds, the mog axles will solve theses problemes or Am I wrong ?
It 's difficult for me to find the pro and cons on thes axles

·
Registered
10,684 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Mog axles are hard to fit in a vehicle and keep low, parts are expensive and hard to find (in the US), they tend to break more than a built D60 would, they weigh quite a bit more than your 60's, and the ground clearance really isnt that big of a factor. A D60 is dirt simple to work on and find parts for (once again, in the US). You obviously already have the 60's in your Jeep, why mess with something that works bad ass? How many times have you broke your current axles?

At one time, I thought Mog axles were the way to go, but then I learned to drive and dont need the ground clearance now. I would much rather have a lower COG and less potential for breakage. Not trying to hate on peeps that have Mog axles, because they do work well for some rigs, but since you already have a good set of axles why change it?

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
blk87K5 said:
Mog axles are hard to fit in a vehicle and keep low, parts are expensive and hard to find (in the US), they tend to break more than a built D60 would, they weigh quite a bit more than your 60's, and the ground clearance really isnt that big of a factor. A D60 is dirt simple to work on and find parts for (once again, in the US). You obviously already have the 60's in your Jeep, why mess with something that works bad ass? How many times have you broke your current axles?

At one time, I thought Mog axles were the way to go, but then I learned to drive and dont need the ground clearance now. I would much rather have a lower COG and less potential for breakage. Not trying to hate on peeps that have Mog axles, because they do work well for some rigs, but since you already have a good set of axles why change it?
The COG argument is a myth. Yes, a full bodied vehicle will be tall.
Built right, a 404 axle is stronger than a D60.
The portals are not designed to jump so it all depends on the type of wheeling you do. If your wheeling style does not include getting airborne then the D60 will break long before a stock 404.
here is a Mog 404 shaft next to a D60 shaft:

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
4Mogger said:
No, No, No...
Not a good idea.
Ask anyone who has ever dealt with them.

These guys are the way to go. Best customer service in the business. Not cheap but the quality is second to none as well.
http://www.exaxt.ca/

they just have mogs on jeeps thats why i posted them

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
4Mogger said:
Cool.
Check through the Mercedes forum. There are a couple of jeeps on mogs. Milcrawler (million dollar crawler) is one.
I have the 60'S on the Jeep and I have the Mogs axles on the side. Mogs pieces are easy to find here in Switzerland

My 60's are the first serie from Dynatrac, heavy and big, not the hight clearance version. I know these Killer Axles, Exaxct and Tarandon but they want only sell 8 lugs version for 16,5 inch wheel and I don't like this if it's possible. The 16,5 inch are not commun in Europe and we have to import the tires direct from USA and it's expensive.
When it's possible, I d'like to with 6 lugs like Chevy or Toyota and 16 inch wheel. But nobody want to make this for me

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
4Mogger said:
The COG argument is a myth. Yes, a full bodied vehicle will be tall.
Built right, a 404 axle is stronger than a D60.
The portals are not designed to jump so it all depends on the type of wheeling you do. If your wheeling style does not include getting airborne then the D60 will break long before a stock 404.
here is a Mog 404 shaft next to a D60 shaft:

How is the COG argument a myth? If the rig is taller because of the portal drop and gynormous pinion, the COG WILL be higher. We ARE discussing a full bodied rig here.

Stock parts to stock parts, a 404 is only slightly stronger in some areas. The 404's/Mogs have their advantages, no doubt. They are a strong, heavy axle in stock form that is capable of handling a big tire and a lot of weight.

I like the picture of the 404 shaft next to a stock, rusted, 30 spline shaft. Put those same shafts next to a set of 300M 40 spline shafts. I could post a picture of a set of D60 shafts next to D27 parts, but whats the point? Its hard to compare the axles due to their massive differences. There is room to upgrade a D60, not much you can do with a MOG. Gear ratios, lockers, knuckles, not really any upgrade parts, unless you swap the center section out for a 9"/toyota/Dana center.

Both axles have their place. You chose your axles because they fit your rig and wheeling the best. My whole point was the fact that this guy has a BAD ASS set of axles and might not want to go through the effort of re-engineering the wheel for only minor gains in a few areas, and less performance in others.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
blk87K5 said:
Both axles have their place. You chose your axles because they fit your rig and wheeling the best. My whole point was the fact that this guy has a BAD ASS set of axles and might not want to go through the effort of re-engineering the wheel for only minor gains in a few areas, and less performance in others.
The problem is that not everybody have a business or a shop were they can built their own Jeep. Other difficult, not everybody have the capacity and maybe time to re-engineering the wheel like you did.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,721 Posts
put the mog outters on your dynatrac center.

:smokin:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts