Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the middle of a engine swap in my 95 wrangler. Dropping in a 95 GM 5.7 and am wondering about wiring the rest of the jeep. I purchased a harness from Howell but it only covers the engine. I'm curious what others have done to eliminate the original harness/ computer. The system basically consist of three harnesses. the computer the power distibution and lighting. what level of success have others had eliminaing the old computer completely and how did they do it. what did they retain and/or eliminate. where dd they mke the splices.

any info is helpful, I'm all ears

·
Registered
445 Posts
What features your you looking and needing to keep?
Is it a DD?

Why would you not keep the stock chassis and body wiring?

As for the PCM, you do not need it, or any of the wiring with it.

I would wire in aftermarket gauges as well.

·
Registered
16,106 Posts
If you're asking these questions AFTER you started the swap, you're in over your head.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
follow up 1

PT Ranger,
Your comment is not helpful and I'm definetly not over my head so I'm not sure why you bother wasting finger time on a keyboard maybe your ignorant or bored. I however am Just not so ignorant that I wouldn't ask for input. I have many options not the least of which is to off the whole existing harness and rewire aftermarket guages and other wiring. But before I go slicin and dicin thought I would see what others have done, what worked what didn't. The fact that YOU assume i'm in over my head leads me to believe maybe you have done what you suggest I did at some point. If so I hope you were able to seek help without being blasted by someone like yourself. No matter, fact remains I'm looking for input, not babysitting.

Brian,
as I see it I do need some of the wiring if I intend to keep all the guages as stock as well as run stock wiring for the charging and starting sytem. the issue becomes the sensors. such as oil pressure and temp are different so do I modify the sendor or get a guage that will work on a GM sender. also the alt and speedometer come from that harness as does the starter. the question becomes one of time versus money and what will end up with the cleanest result. Also since the original motor was a manual and the harness was only partially equiped for automatic I need to determine how I want to wire the neutral lock out as well as the TCC controls. the 4L60E has a module that I could figure out the wiring pins and get a proper connector or I coud simply put a switch on the shifter for the neutral lockout and hook up a switch to the brake for the TCC.

So what are others thoughts on these as well s other options

·
Registered
445 Posts
For the gauges, I would buy aftermarket gauges with their specific senders. These will be more accurate then most any stock gauges or sender combo. If your running a fuel cell, it should have a GM sender already. If money is an issue, you can adapt the jeep senders to the gm engine, until upgrading later.

The speedo will depend on your t case. If you are keeping a jeep case, you can just keep the speed sensor from your 231, and the 3 wires for it.

For the alt and starting systems, it would depend on how much of the gm harness you have.

I would suggest that you try as much as possible to keep each system as much one model or the other, rather then a mix of the two.

For the tranny, you should b ab to a the necessary wires and pick up the correct TCM for the 60E. I would skip a bunch of switches. That would work, but would not at all make for a fun drive.

·
Registered
16,106 Posts
You sound like you don't know what you want to do.

Figure out what YOU want to do, how much time you want to spend tracing removing wires. How much time do you want to spend half-assing this sensor to work with that guage. And, more importanly, figure out how much money you want to spend.

Then do it. If you're feeling brave, document it, and post it so others can learn.

I've done multiple engine swaps, both with, and without aftermarket guages. I always kept it in the model/manufacturer window to make my life easier. I've done swaps using after market guages as well.

Personally, I'd just swap in guages, and get rid of as much Jeep stuff related to the engine as possible. Then when it comes tiem to troubleshoot something, you're only working with one system.

But you knew all that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BRIAN, BTW this is not a daily driver, beliee it or not its a rig I sold to a buddy 2 yrs ago and bought it back for 1/2 price. taking dvantage of my new found savings and finisghing what I tarted 15 yers ago. yep I know sold it for11.4 bought back for 5500.00 Its already got a dana 60 rear and arb front and rear with 456 and an atlas 3.8 so its pretty mush good to go except with the V8 and going from 31 inch to 36 inch the dana 30 hasgot to go. have to dana 44 HP High stear difs to choose from and once the engine is in the jeep gets a major hair cut. out go the leafs and in goes the links. plan to 3 link the front and 4 link the back. will extnd WB 6 inch in process. so gas tank will eventually go away but for now I want to get it on the road by end of March.

SO I'm getting closer to making a decision, and Im definetly leaning away from spicing in the factory guages.
reasoning.
1) Hate the location they are in, take up prime real estate on console
2) wiring is all intertwined with computer so I would need to thin anclean up a bunch of crap
3) really like the look of the tach and speedo in one dial and a quad for the rest
4) could use the old connectors and cut the entire wire harness out and use the old connectors to make the finished product clean
5) looking forward to fabricating a new dash
6)It lookslike I can Cut in andkeep the color schem the same ad end up with enough extra wires to use for stuff later on. such s an air compressor (left the AC unit on the motor and plan to convert it later)
7) I have a Link Arc altinator and will need to convert some of the wiring to make it work but plan to do that after engine is running since it involves making some brakets etc and I dont think I will hae the time befor end of march. But If I build the harnssfrom scratch I can build that into the new harness but leave the wiring there so that I could use the fatory altinator sould the need arise.

I found this on a forum but cant confirm its for a wrangler an more specifically a 95 wrangler. anyone out there know if these are correct specs?

Page 1 of 1
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attachments/f12/138296d1280777617-fuel-gauge-ohms-... 2/20/2013

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh and PT,
that was at least helpful. I do agree that having one manufacture under the hood helps. But since I will b doing the work I will know what ever I do so figuring out an issue will be fairly easy. (very nice when your on a trail) I would agree though that new guages overall just make it easier, especially when Autometer makes a bezel that would also me to easily keep the fuel sending unit stock and leave the tank alone while converting the rest to GM.
buying the 60 dollar bezel now also will allow me to get the jeep up and running and then if I wanted to off the bzel and redo the entire dash I could andI wouldnt havwasted the $$ on guages I cant reuse.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I did a similar swap. I just swapped in my GM donors chassis wiring and hacked the Jeep headlight harness to the GM. The rest of the stuff just went in like it was supposed to be there. My Jeep thinks its an '89 Suburban if you plug into the OBD port (cuz it is)

What would you want to keep of the Jeep wiring/accessories?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wrangler tach

does anyone have experience with reconfiguring the tach on wrangler? I have completed the above conversion with the exception of the tach. It reads 2x since its looking for 4 cylinder data. I thought that someone would sell a converter but so far no luck. I do not want to install a new gauge

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update

So did some investigation then called Summit to see what they had. Summit Racing sent me to Autometer who sent me to Dakota Digital who has a module to adjust it. seems pretty universal part number SGI-8

Turns out you can get it from Summit $84.95 plus shipping. same cost if you order it direct from Dakota digital.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dak-sgi-8

1 - 12 of 12 Posts