Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of the wristed axle housing on BC Broncos .com looks sweet. Has anyone tried this yet.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
i think it's something else to break or tare up.... do a wristed arm and be done

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
In the late 60's early 70's there was a desert racer EB that allowed the radius arm piviot on the housing. It seams like it gets the same thing done as a wristed arm, just takes alot more work. I would have to agree John DR. Save the pain and go with the wristed.

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
Nice kit, neat idea but looks like a lot of unnecessary work. Just wrist it or extend it and be done with it ;)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Chuck says the install of this set up is less time than cutting the arm. But, I believe you have to send him stuff first which cost him time and then you money.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I bought the second kit Chuck sold and it is not yet installed. It would be but some mother [email protected]#ker tried to steel my welder out of my garage and damaged it in the process so it is being repaired. The kit is very nice and well built and should go in in a day start to finish. In the write up they were getting more flex then with a wristed arm and in my case I already have custom built tubular arms that would be a pain in the a$$ to wrist and not real safe. I will post once the kit is in and working.

·
Registered
129 Posts
big bronco extended arms

im building a 79 bronco and am interested in finding someone that can fabricate or sells extended arms. Bronco graveyard sells them for way to much and im on a budget so any help would be appreciated. Alos whats the difference between extended and wristed? does one allow more flex than the other?

·
Premium Member
19,797 Posts
rokcrln said:
In the write up they were getting more flex then with a wristed arm
I remeber seeing the Wristed arm gaining more flex then the housing thing, but now that he is changeing his rear shock mounts its going to look like the WAH is giveing more flex.

You build new arms and it still did not flex right? did you ditch the C bushing setup?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
welndmn said:

I remeber seeing the Wristed arm gaining more flex then the housing thing, but now that he is changeing his rear shock mounts its going to look like the WAH is giveing more flex.

You build new arms and it still did not flex right? did you ditch the C bushing setup?

FROM WHAT i READ HE USED THE SAME ARM JUST PUT A PIN IN TO CHECK THE WAH AND GOT 3-4" MORE OF VERTICAL LIFT THAT HE DID WITH THE PIN OUT AND A NON-WAH.

MY ARMS STILL USE THE C-BUSHING AND THEY FLEX GREAT (I AM AROUND 980 RTI ON A 30* RAMP. i JUST WANTED TO TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Re: big bronco extended arms

fordlover said:
Alos whats the difference between extended and wristed? does one allow more flex than the other?
Yes their is a differance between wristed and extended. Extended is just that. The arem in now longer that stock. This will give you more flex before the axel starts to bind at the arms.

The wristed arm ( only one gets wristed) will bend or piviot at the housing and relive bind and give more flex that just an extended arm.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think its not the best idea. 2 problem areas.....bind in the steering linkage (one end is going to be twisting the exact opp of the other)..2nd problem is track bar, another bind area

·
Registered
903 Posts
Omega said:
I think its not the best idea. 2 problem areas.....bind in the steering linkage (one end is going to be twisting the exact opp of the other)..2nd problem is track bar, another bind area
It doesnt twist as much as you think, I dont think the steering is a problem.

·
Registered
368 Posts
You know flex is overated. How much do you really need? I extended my arms and hit a 935 on a 30*. That was with the front tire on the ramp. I don't like all this wristing and twisting. More maintenace to keep the pivot areas greased. More things to wear. That's my $.02.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Maintenance....... what maintenance:confused:

I do agree that flex is mostly over rated. You do want a reasonable amount though.

I have a wristed arm, and it uses up a 9012. Even if I could do something to make it better, why do I need more travel than a 9012 provides? Would more travel actually help offroad, or just get me a higher # on the ramp?

The way I look at it, wristed arms are an ultra cheap and easy method to get tons of flex. If you're not happy with the concept, then you need to build yourself a 3 or 4 link from scratch.

I'd say I put 8 - 12 hours into making a wristed arm. That's without having all the preferred tools, and not being focused 100% on the arm.

edit: I just read the article on the WAH. While I think it's a fine piece of work, he certainly skirts around the fact that you can pin a standard wristed arm for street use.

$400-$600 is a lot of money. Not saying that kit doesn't deserve that, but given a choice, I think I'd put that money toward a completely different suspension.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey Nobody,

You did wrist your arm... Right? I liked the web site pics about it.

If you got to pick your front coild over again, what would you choose?

I have 37" now, and want to get some more clearance, so I was thinking about what I could do outside of chopping sheet metal. I remember that the higher the lift, the less the flex capability, SO...

I was hoping you heard something that I didn't.

Adam

1 - 20 of 23 Posts