Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my 14 bolt is in love with my gas tank after I extended the wheelbase using the XJ springs in the rear. I have been debating a fuel cell, but loosing too much space is an issue on a YJ :grin: Blue Torch makes a sweet custom tank as well, but I wanted to keep cost low, since am saving for a new front axle.

Plan is to use stock tank moved up in the tub, so will loose about 7X20 space in the back, not bad, and will still allow me to mount a rear seat higher, and plenty of space for my junk. Things that will be on the way are the crossmember, and body mounts. Plan is to move half way up and build a box, similar to Nasvik's setup (www.jeepshots.com). very helpful write-up.

So started the chop chop, lots of pics to show the process, I had no idea what I was getting myself into ;) I ended up having to remove the rear bumper that has brackets for rear springs (ended up welding extra bracing), air tank, clean, wirebrush and paint tank skid, etc.

Starting point:

There is little clearance between the top of the axle and gas tank (about 3-4 inches) after I pushed the rear axle back:

Tank and axle met, and started "self clearing" at drops, so I had to wheel very carefully, and was worried I would end up cracking the tank apart:

Started by disconnecting fuel lines, and electrical line for the fuel pump. You can also see the crorssmember that is in the way. I had to remove the air tank I had from my OBA as well, that was a pretty good spot, so gotta figure out a new sport for it.

Chop Chop, used a sawzall, and a grinder and cutting well (the grinder worked sweet.

·
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The main pain was cutting the crossmember, since it will be in the way of the tank. , a plasma would have been sweet, but just took more time with the sawzall, portable bandsaw and grinder.

Yo!

After cutting the crossmember, mocked up the stock skid back in place. I want to keep the bottom open so any fumes (gas or exhaust) stay outside\bottom of the rig.

The clearance is sweet, and I will loose about 6-7" height by 20 wide cargo space, not a bad compromise, plus keep my current gas capacity, and will stay much lower and out of the way than a fuel cell, and for a lot le$$.

the clearance is killer:

Stil in progress, planning to finish it up soon, need to build a new crossmember, and box enclosure for tank.

·
Registered
285 Posts
lookin good man, always look forward to reading your write ups, very detailed and helpful. Keep up the good work.

·
Premium Member
5,754 Posts
Awesome write-up. This is in the works for my rig and gives me an idea of what to expect... Big thank you for taking the time to pist pics and such.

·
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thnaks guys, will keep it coming, I am kinda going slow and taking my time on the additional projects, but if you do not have to deal with the bumper and air tank relocation, etc, could go much faster.

I am trying to come up with an idea for the crossmember, (post up suggestions) will possibly be like Nasvik's (tube), but am still thinking if I should build it square and have holes so I could mount my shocks or longer ones in a " / \ " fashion. Nedd to move bumpstops as well, this never ends, hahah :D

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Geber, good work. Please update with shots of lower skid and upper box totally welded down.

No luck on the front 60 yet eh?

-Joe

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Looks very similar to what I did two years ago. I moved my stock TJ tank up flush with the frame rails and boxed in the top. Total PITA, but mine turned out good. These pics are from a while ago. Skid is 3/16"

The inside is 1/8" with an angle iron frame. The top is bolted down so I can remove it. No gas fumes at all.

My only concern is going to be if I have enough clearance to put a 14 bolt under there with a BTF truss and four link, AND move the axle back ~10". I just don't think it is going to work so I'll probably have to scrap all of this.

·
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Joe, the D60 fairy may be coming around this week, keeping my fingers crossed, may happen :)

4x4not, it should work, I ballparked mine so I can go in that direction, I have a BTF truss in my garage boxed up. Clearance wise you may be able to get away... I am planning to reinforce the inside of the skid instead of adding another layer at the bottom. I think with the bumpstops it is very unlikely I will hit it that high.

·
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Made some progress yesterday, and finished the rear bumper and shackle mount beefup.

Built a crossmember with some DOM 1.75, so came out pretty beefy, so should work well. I played around with some positions to install it, and decided to mount it a bit more to the rear, under the gas tank, so it could also work as a protection for the tank.

Poor man's moveable welding table:

mocked up in position:

Welding from the top of the tub makes it much easier:

in!

I ended up deciding on attaching the tank to the tub rather than the frame, which will some, but not a lot of movement, and the tank will be strapped to the old skid, more pics to come.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Oh sure, take the easy way of moving it :flipoff2: , I spent a week at the Chiropractor after finding mine ...

Let the games begin!! :grinpimp:

-Joe

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
you picked a front 60 up fully assembled??? good lord... I did what Geberhard did and used a lift... we moved just the bare housing around by hand and it still took 2 people... looks like another 1 ton yj build :smokin:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Used two guys and STILL spent the week getting re-adjusted. The BEST is seeing someone at "the Pick-Your-Part all you can carry for $10" day...Saw a guy with a 14B over his shoulders...!!

·
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Darn, my back is broken just shifting the mosnter around from under the rig. We used a cherry picker to load and unload that puppy, movingit around just plain sucks, the cherry picker paid for itself, hehe :)

The 60 build will take some time, unless I sell my 44 first to help finance the project ;)

Rented a u-haul trailer, worked out prety good, was just wandering why at the gas pumps in the area they had a bottle of vaseline by the pump, must be the gas prices... or cheap date spots in the area :D

·
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wish I had. I have been looking for a 78-79 for a long time, so ended up paying more than I had in mind, but oh well, expensivepile of steel :) I did come across some godo deals, but all 80's or 90's Ford, so would have to resize long side, or outboard springs... Starting to save for parts and build this one slowly :)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts