Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can find on for a 40 other than what is on IH8MUD? I have some questions about the swap that a good write up might answer for me.

Thanks.

- Rico.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
do you have access to A/A catalogue , it has measurements and tips. About 4 months ago on this board a guy was posting about the specific clutch issue's involved.Search this forum and it should come up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
peesalot said:
do you have access to A/A catalogue , it has measurements and tips. About 4 months ago on this board a guy was posting about the specific clutch issue's involved.Search this forum and it should come up.
The clutch is actually my main questions.

- Rico.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,072 Posts
you running a Chev V8 to a AA bellhousing to the stock 4-speed?

Centerforce...period.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
fj40_rico said:
I will be running a TBI V8 with a chevy V8 bellhousing an sm420.

- Rico.
This is the setup I put in my 40 this past winter. What's your question?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CodePig said:
This is the setup I put in my 40 this past winter. What's your question?
What do you do about the clutch. if you are moving the tranny and t-case forward?

And what did you do about the heater box when you moved the tranny forward?

The reason why I want to see the write up is just to see the steps taken.

- Rico.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,177 Posts
fj40_rico said:
What do you do about the clutch. if you are moving the tranny and t-case forward?

And what did you do about the heater box when you moved the tranny forward?

The reason why I want to see the write up is just to see the steps taken.

- Rico.
What about the clutch?? Do you mean what about the slave cylinder?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
yup , the conversion uses a bracket that bolts to two of the bell house bolts and it holds the stock slave , use chevy fork , ........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
peesalot said:
yup , the conversion uses a bracket that bolts to two of the bell house bolts and it holds the stock slave , use chevy fork , ........
Do you fab up the bracket or is that attached to the bell housing that the engine is coming out of?

And if the 350 that I would be using is attached to an automatic tranny, do I have to get a different pressure plate or can I use it with the sm420?

- Rico.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
o.k , I am not going to flame but don't ever ask if you can use a flex plate for the sm420 again.
Auto = flexplate
Manual = flywheel and clutch
Yes you can take a flex plate off an engine and install a flywheel and clutch to run a manual but be sure to check balace on the engine. very tricky to do that and get good balance.
The bracket in question is aftermarket and comes from A/A I believe. Ask for one on here , someone is bound to have em , cruiseroutfitter comes to mind or mark A.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
peesalot said:
o.k , I am not going to flame but don't ever ask if you can use a flex plate for the sm420 again.
Thanks for the non-flamage :flipoff2: After I read the post I realized that that couldn't be posible.

- Rico.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,964 Posts
Interesting I didn't know that if you swapped that it could affect balance...

Rico there is a part number for the AA bracket, it is something like $30 or you could make one out of 4" x 1/4" thick strap for much less, you can probably find those pieces in scap down at Wasatch Steel..

I do have that bellhousing for you that actually came from Ige on this board. I would use the LUK clutch also, I am beyond happy with mine...
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top