Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HOW TO: Install a Detroit Locker on your 14 bolt full floater.

The Detroit locker is beefy, pretty reliable, and a good option if you are planning to drive your rig at all on the street. Yep, you can Lincoln Lock the 14 bolt spiders, but at a cost of more tire wear, less streetability, and the chance of welds coming apart and blowing your gears. The Detroit Locker is a fairly cheap solution, since it does not require a new carrier; the 14 bolt carrier is plenty beef. Another plus is the ease of install. I have never done one before, and took me about an hour and a half, by myself, even while shooting pictures for this write-up.

I remember seeing an old write-up on the web before which was pretty helpful, (Shawn Spickler), but did not provide additional information that would help even the newest of newbs to do the install at home. The install seems so easy that it is pretty scary.

I

1- Start by lifting your rig on jackstands, if the axle is still installed. This will give you better access, and help with testing the install later. Start draining fluid of the dif, removing the cover ( I left the top bolts slightly tightened so the fluid would drop slowly, and not make a mess). While the fluid drains, remove the 8 bolts in each hub which hold the axle shafts. slide the shafts out about 10 inches in each side. Now remove cover fully.

2- The 14 bolt is held by a turning nut colar, which has holes, one on each side of the carrier. I scratched a line on the colar and housing, which would provide me the original position of the carrier. The colar nut with holes pushes against the bearing races.

3- The bearing races are held by bearing support brackets. The supports have two large bolts (one top and one bottom), and a small bolt in the center with a wire prong. The prongs hold the colar nut, so that it will not move up or down. Start by removing the center small bolt, with the prong on both sides. I recommend keeping things aside and organized when removing parts, so they do not get mixed up.

4- Remove the bolts holding the bearing support brackets. Start by the bottom, and renmove the top ones last. Keep track of which side is which,a nd what side goes up or down.

5- Time to remove the carrier ;D In order to remove the carrier, you will need to turn the collar nut with the holes. Again, if you did not mark their position against the dif case do it now. I used a small screwdriver to rotate the collar. On the right side, turn it down, and MAKE SURE you count how many turns. Care full because at this point your carrier may slide down, so hol it lightly with one hand. I did two turns on the right side, and it was enough to have the carrier to move. Did one on the left hand side (will need to turn it up in the opposite direction), and the carrier will come out nice and easy. I recommend placing a piece of flat wood or plastic under the dif, in case the carrier slides out. It is heavy, and may be hard to grab due to the fluid :) Place the carrier on the wood, or rag.

6- I sprayed brake cleaner inside the dif housing, and cleaned up the heavier brownie gunk looking deposits. Have a beer, a soft drink, or beverage of choice, and let it drip (not the beer, the gunky fluid) in a oil pan. The bottom of the housing has a magnet, so clean that up, remove the old small metal fragments if any, and spray some more brake cleaner fluid and let it drip. This is a time to inspect for the wear on your bearings and races, and clean them up. If you need to replace the bearings, you will need a bearing press. In my case, the bearings and races were in great shape, so the gunk did some good protection.

7- Ok, while the dripping is going on, now yu have the carrier on the ground. This is the easy part. Remove the bolts holding the carrier to the gears, (12). I recommend using a impact gun, since those suckers are tight. Before removing the bolts, I recommend marking the gear and carrier side. This way you will mount them in the correct position. Inside the carrier, on the gear and removed side there is a small arrow imprinted indicating were they should be joined, but I am not sure if it is the same for all 14 bolts.

8- Remove the spider gears, they will come out easy by hand. Make sure you remove ALL the thin washers\shim looking things. attached to the spider gears. Clean up the inside, there wil be plenty of old brownie style gunk. Now install the Detroit in position. IMPORTANT do not remove the holding pin and screw that holds the locker together until you have the carrier back together. put the carrier back together and tighten the 12 bolts. The carrier should now be ready to install. After tightening the 12 bolts, make sure you remove the pin and wingnut that hold the Detroit together. It is important to do this only after the carrier is together, otherwise the Detroit will come apart. Put the bearing races on (a small amount of bearing grease will help them stay put and not slide out when you push the carrier back in.

9- The carrier is pretty heavy and awkward to install back on the dif, if the axle is attached to a rig. If the axle is out, it will make things easier, but not really necessary. I had my Jeep jacked up for better access under the axle, so I rigged up a little "bridge" with a piece of wood, and two small jackstands. That let me simply roll the carrier back into position. Improvise, evolve, etc kinda thing, but worked :) Now hold the carrier in position, with one hand, and with your free hand, turn the collar nuts to their original position, making sure the number of turns and markings you made match. That should hold the carrier in place. Install the bearing support brackets on, and tighten to specs. Check if everything is correct in place.

10- Now install shafts back on the dif. The 14 bolt shafts sometimes are a bit cranky to go back in, but some wiggling will do ;D Tighten the 8 shaft bolts, and go back to the rear of the rig.

TESTING INSTALL PART 1:

Assuming your rig is still lifted, engage t case and shft in gear, or position in Park. With the tires off the ground, spin by hand both tires in reverse at teh same time. They should spin slightly and lock. Now hold the left hand tire, and spin the right tire forward. It should spin, and you should hear the Detroit click click engaging. Spin back both tires until they lock, and repeat the step for the left side.

You should be set to go, clean dif area, and RTV and\or gasket it up back, let it cure for at least an hour, (more time is better), and fill up with fluid, about 4 quarts, 80W.

TESTING INSTALL PART 2:

Now drive off, and find a sweet trail, and wheel it :)

DISCLAIMER: blah blah blah blah and I am not responsible if you mess up, get hurt, roll your rig over, have a baby, etc etc.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Gui, Very nice write up but you need to do a little editting.
#8 Went from tightening the ring bolts to installing the carrier. You forgot to pull the detroit saftey bolt, maybe why you had cranky axle shafts, :flipoff2: .
You should have also added some torque values.
You've been burning the candle from both ends, prolly too tired to type the rest. :D

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
It might be a good idea to add to keep that bolt, washers and wing nut for the next regear or if you ever need to take the carrier apart.

·
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL ;D Övningskör in Swedish is similar to "practice driving", "warning: driving student", or "driving simulator" :) My GF is from Sweden, so last year I saw a bunch of rigs on the road in Stockholm with the magnet, so got one ;)

Gui

·
Registered
509 Posts
Great job. With the torque values added, this deserves to be "stickied"... somewhere.

JOKER

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Wow did I almost screw up big. I threw away the old carrier bc I thought it was a full replacement locker. Saw this thread and luckily the trash guy set it on the curb and wouldn't take it. Sweet write up.

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
Wow did I almost screw up big. I threw away the old carrier bc I thought it was a full replacement locker. Saw this thread and luckily the trash guy set it on the curb and wouldn't take it. Sweet write up.
Yeah you did.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
I'm used to dealing with my rubi 44's, and the pic I saw on randys had a pic of a full replacement. I got lucky. Before I throw anything else away I'll use the search function.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts