Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been fighting with my lockouts and shafts on the Jeep for about a month now. Seems that no matter how I tried to get them to match... the axle splines with the collar machined in would never match up with my Superwinch hubs. I even purchased a new set of Warn Premiums because I questioned the capabilities in machining tolerances on the SW's.

Today, I snapped an axle, and removed it all to install a spare Ford axle (removed from an actual FORD) on the driver's side.

To my suprise....the Super Winch lockouts slipped right on and snap ring was right on! Looked back at the shaft that was removed and surmised that it HAS to be a Chevy piece. I bought the axle from a fellow who removed it from a Ford that had been running an 8 lug hub on the D44.
Was there a difference in the f-250 axles on the D44RS and the F-150 D44RS as far as stub shaft length? Or had somebody just jammed a Chevy piece in there? FWIW, I mounted my own spindles, so I'm not sure what spindle was pulled off of it at sale time. (I know that the Chevy spindle is 1/4" longer than the Ford piece, but is the spindle for the Ford 3/4 ton D44 longer as well?)

·
Registered
424 Posts
It depends on which front axle you have, the light duty or the heavy duty one. I've seen both. The light duty has the same spindles, shafts etc. as the 1/2 ton. The heavy duty has longer spindles and longer stub shafts. I never knew that until I did a rev. rotat. swap on my '76 and wanted to use my hubs and rotors/calipers because they are beefier. low and behold, everything was longer.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Chevy Dana 44's all have the same length axle shafts, as long as it has 297 type u-joints.

Ford on the other had ran all kinds of length (I once counted the 297 type and posted it here).

CHeck out this and look for teh Dana 44 axle shaft chart. Someinfo here

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mr.N said:
Chevy Dana 44's all have the same length axle shafts, as long as it has 297 type u-joints.

Ford on the other had ran all kinds of length (I once counted the 297 type and posted it here).

CHeck out this and look for teh Dana 44 axle shaft chart. Someinfo here
I perused that the other night after we discussed the F-250 F-150 knuckle dilema.....
Very enlightening reading.
Actually...after that, I had to go back down to the original Ford 150 front that was under my Cherokee and hold the F-250 knuckle next to that unit to determine the amount of grinding needed to fit the F-150 brake calipers and brackets.

FWIW, I'm putting the F-250 knuckle up for sale....clean as it is....it's just too much trouble to use the F-150 brakes. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts