Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote an email to Greg of vintageoffroad expressing how I feel about his business. Here is what I wrote. I will update if he replies.

"I understand this is a business and all, and that you can do this in America, but your website boggles the mind. Your cruisers are really overpriced and you also false advertise. You claim rust-free when some pictures show obvious rust...some pretty bad. You also say each one is the best, so you have around 15 of "the best" cruisers. How can every one be the best? It's like handing out 25 olympic gold medals for one event..it just doesn't happen. Most of those cruisers arent even worth half of what you're asking. Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that your sales tactics suck. Have a nice day.

-Andrei"

·
Banned
34,097 Posts
I think it's buyer beware. Shame on someone if they don't inspect hteir cruiser before purchase.

if the guy can get a fool to pay his ridiculous prices, more power to him.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
ScottFJ40 said:
I think it's buyer beware. Shame on someone if they don't inspect hteir cruiser before purchase.

if the guy can get a fool to pay his ridiculous prices, more power to him.
As much as it pains me to say it, I have to say market drives price. I hate false adveritsing especially if an unseasoned cruiserhead is the person ante-ing up the $$$, but this is a capitalistic society... If the demand was out there for a certain product you had, would you drop the price just because a handful of people complained about it but you were still selling the stuff to others without the least problem...nope, I really doubt most people would. As for his misrepresentation of what he is selling:flipoff: him.

-Brett

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
I have done business with Greg (Vintage Offroad) and he seemed to be an O.K. guy, his business is just that (his business) I can't imagine why anyone would pay those prices but obviously somebody is.

The truck that I passed on for $9,000 was on his website for $15,000 and I talked with the old owner after the transaction and he said that vintage bought it over the phone unseen.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I can't vouch for his business practices since I've never done business with him. I really doubt I'll buy from him anyways since his prices are high. Of course, that is my opinion....

However, a perspective buyer need to have a "buyer beware" attitude and do the homework before you buy. Don't rely on the seller to provide truthful answers. Go look at it and decide for yourself.

He has them priced that way because there are willing buyers.
Market will determine the price.

Also, I'd be really surprised if he responds to that type of email in a public forum.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Based on the adds I've seen of his on ebay and one brief discussion via phone, I think he is a dick.

Hey, it's the US though so he's entitled to be a dick if he wants to be one and we're allowed to voice our ops too.

I'll never buy anything from him or let anyone I know do it either.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
As a firm believer in a market economy, I gotta give this guy kudos, I think it takes balls (and a good chunk of capital) to buy what I already consider to be overpriced Cruisers and then flip them with a huge markup. This guy's a shark!

As a Cruiserhead, people like this piss me off, I don't mind a markup but sometimes he doubles his money on these trucks (okay, minus a full detail job and a couple of cans of Rustoleum black). It may have no effect on you guys that already have an FJ40, but on guys like me, who would like to own one one day, these assh*les pushing the market up are not helping.

In the end, I still think a lot of it is the buyer's responsibility. I'll use a current example. I'm helping a friend of mine find a 60 series for his brother, so I've been monitoring the market very closely and have looked at about a dozen trucks lately. The overall price has dropped dramatically from a year ago, I see pristine FJ62's going for $7K-$8K, and these trucks were bringing $9K a year ago and even $12K during The Madness (1998-2001). But the price has dropped. Now yesterday, some dude in Boca Raton, FL listed his very clean, CCOT-restored FJ62 on Ebay and he's asking $19,500. My first reaction was astonishment, because to me he is WAY OFF. But there are two possible outcomes here. Either he lists it three or four times without getting what he wants, finally understands, and then sells it a loss, or some ignorant, enthusiastic proto-Cruiserhead comes along, has some money burning in his pocket, thinks that a CCOT restoration magically makes the truck new again, and plunks down the cash, assuming the big hit from the buyer.

Buyer beware, I guess. Oh, and here's to you, VintageOffroad dude, :flipoff: :flipoff:

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
climbermike said:
Based on the adds I've seen of his on ebay and one brief discussion via phone, I think he is a dick.
Tell us how you really feel.... :D

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Henry,

I thought the owner of this rig was here on PBB... still not a bad looking rig, and for the "buy it now" price of $8K looked reasonable...

FJ60 on Ebay

One thing I have learned when advertising a vehicle... pull of the items that will NOT sell on with it. I hate ads that say "xxxx not included"... just unbolt the stuff, stash it out of the way, THEN take photos of what is for sale. :rolleyes:

When I start spotting '93-'94 FJ80's around $10K... ya prices have dropped.

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
I'll just bet he lays awake at nite worried about the e mails sent to him telling him what a crook he is:confused: :confused:

I really don't understand everyones obsession with these guys that sell stuff for what many of us consider absurd prices.

In the grand scheme of things what does it matter unless you are one of those souls that get screwed?
If you are, lesson learned, the hard way.

Butch

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
His reply

"Thanks Andrei for the feed back. Right then, an "auto dealer" has a
little different model than a Trading Times bargain private seller.

So, what you are saying is you will not be buying one of our Cruisers?

Regards, Greg"

I was thinking of writing him back saying, "I'll take all of them, here's a million bucks :flipoff2: "

·
Registered
652 Posts
i don't think this guy is any worse then cool cruisers. i've seen 3 of there restored fj-40 that were sold for 18k+ and i was not impressed at all.

and as far as the market, my friend just bought a 1994 fj-80 with lockers and 85k for 10,500.

dave

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Don't worry, it will eventually get back to him in one way or another. Life has a weird way of making it happen IMO, especailly in the world of Cruisers I think.

·
Registered
678 Posts
In the long run, I still think he is a dick.

Just thought I'd repeat myself in case I wasn't clean earlier.
:flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
dieselcruiserhead said:
Don't worry, it will eventually get back to him in one way or another. Life has a weird way of making it happen IMO, especailly in the world of Cruisers I think.
Amen! I can attest to the Cruiser Karma.......it's a fact as far as I'm concerened.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts