Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, buttoning up my little CUCV axle project finally. Last thing for the 14bolt was to replace the hinky seals on the hubs. Sweet, I have my seals that I have left over from the last 3/4t GMC I had, they'll work. Tap tap, in it goes. Go to put the other one in, it just falls in. WTF!!

Compare the two, and the original is about... a good 1/32" bigger than the replacement, even though one of them fit just fine. Off to the parts store. The TRW replacement that they have listed for an '85 is the same size as the original.

so! Who wants to theorize on the mismatch? Motor pool hijinks? Different castings? Replacement part?

I can get the original part # tomorrow. I asked Highhonda for 14bolt hub seals, and they are what he gave me. One fit tight as a drum, the other just fell in, like that time in Tijuana with that dancer. :D

·
Vertical Limits
5,037 Posts
first you make with the story about the dancer in mejico, then we tell you about the seal
PICS

so the new seals were both the same part # and OD? you're saying that the seal land in teh back of the hub is bigger on one? did you measure both seals and both seal lands, and check part #'s on both? I'm interested to see this because I was under the impression they were all the same.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm saying the O.D. of the seals are different. I am going out in a second to check the part numbers....

Ok.

TRW part number 2081, which is visually the same size as the original

2.844 ID 3.944 OD .55 wide

Compared to SKF 28426, which only fit one side

2.844 ID 3.939 OD .55 wide

there you have it. :D

·
Registered
520 Posts
The only time I have ever seen a different seal is on some newer housings that use a sleeve on the spindle and larger ID seal, remedy was to just remove the sleeve and run the 2081 rather than hunt for that elusive OEM seal.

But your problem is OD, I don't have data about the bearing hubs themselves so I don't know if it is even possible, but maybe someone put a different bearing hub on the axle all together. D60 maybe? :confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.