Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is on the AA kit for the D300 to AX15 set up. The sealed bearing is the culprit of a substantial consistant leak.

The kit has a new bearing retainer that is used for installing the supplied sealed bearing. I don't know if this is supposed to fit this loose, but the new bearing goes in/out by hand with little pressure. This results in gear oil getting by (weather it's from the loose fit out it's getting through the bearing, I don't know??) and leaking a decent size puddle every night. Any input from others?? I have not been able to get in touch with AA. I thought the whole point of the sealed bearing set up for this very reason??

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
I know a kid that is running one on his AX15 to D300 and has no issues with it. Might have sent you the wrong part number???

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Sealed bearing ???

Did you set end play? I'm running the JB front and rear outputs, both outputs have seals installed after the bearing that seal around the yoke.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jdjanda said:
Sealed bearing ???

Did you set end play? I'm running the JB front and rear outputs, both outputs have seals installed after the bearing that seal around the yoke.

Yes, this is the correct part number.

End play is set as well. The sealed bearing should have nothing to do with the outputs though, no problems there anyhow. The sealed bearing is where the t-case female input shaft goes into the male output of the tranny. It's on the case and the fluid is getting past the bearing on the case and cannot be adjusted.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Todd,
There is no mention of a seal anywhere close to the sealed bearing (in directions) and there is no place for one??? It tells you to disassemble the old input gear and install the new sealed bearing into the index retainer (bearing retainer). Then you just put the gears back on and that's all the directions say for that portion. I need to get this shit done already and this peak is pissing me off.

Oh' fawking well huh, better to be pissed off than pissed on huh?

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FWIW, i'm not talking about any of the bearings in the front or rear outputs, this is the t-case input section bearing reatainer and sealed bearing.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, here is some pics-

This is the bearing retainer (index retainer), sealed bearing and input shaft:

This is the sealed bearing that goes into the bearing retainer:

Now, the gear oil is getting past the bearing and leaking somewhere. I cant imagine that it getting past where the bearing get's pressed on to the output shaft, it's a nice tight press fit. So I can only assume that is either getting through the bearing or where the bearing fits into the bearing retainer. The bearing goes in by hand and and pulls out without any resistance. Shouldn't the bearing be a tright fit into the retainer??

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
first, what is this kit for? i bolted the d300 right to my ax-15. i didnt touch the input of the d300.
second, there is supposed to be an oil seal that goes on last. i have the aa kit for the d300 input for a 700r4 tranny thats looks simular and it uses the same looking sealed bearing. i still used an oil seal.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kit is the AA D300/AX15 adapter/clocking ring. There is two gaskets that go between the clocking ring but those don't help the fluid going out the weep hole. There is no othet seals gaskets though.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
There is no gasket for the input bearing... the reason that kit exists is because the stock d300 input retainer seal surface hits the seal flange on the AX-15. So they get rid of the added depth by milling the seal surface (or making a custom piece.... who knows) down and using a sealed bearing.

I have no clue where yours is leaking.... if you want to make sure the bearing housing surface isn't the culprit put some RTV on the outer bearing surface before you install it. Mine slips in and out with a rubber mallet, but not by hand.

If the seal of the bearing is leaking, then call AA for a replacement bearing.

If you want to just send the whole mess back, you can get that sealed bearing for $25 from McMaster Carr and grind the seal surface off the stock input retainer yourself. Then get a clocking ring on eBay for $80, and grind 1/8" off your AX-15 output. It will bolt up perfect :D

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's kind of what I was thinking, perhaps a small amount of RTV before I install the bearing. I am just getting sick of pulling/draining/installing/reinstalling this case.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, got a pm from Slo-Vic @AA and he really came through. He is ending me a new retainer and bearing so I can get this thing rolling again quickly. I'll be sending back the stuff to AA so they can see where the problems was. Vic was really set on getting me rolling again! I'll post up if I get the findings from AA on what this leak was. Huge props to them!! Thanks Vic!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts