Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Wouldn't it be simpler to just use the axles as is for single wheels and go with a nice wide tire? In my eyes that is what I would do.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just a test fit. Rubs something awful but it won't after the lift. I already yanked off the running boards but it still rubs a little... Not for long!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Couldn't stand it... Can't wait for the new suspension.
Yanked off the running boards and beat the piss out of the lower inside edge of the fenders so there's no rubbing even with it still low. I really didn't want to drive it all the way to San Diego with all the tires and wheels in the back.

Relocated the propane tank four inches higher than before... Still might ditch it for rear/high mounted 20lbs cans.

Gonna need to beef up the spare mount too but it'll work for now.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Well... I am, in fact, out of my fucking mind.
Just put down the deposit to Agile for a TTB front end. I'll still be doing the rest of it; transmission, transfer case, OD, exhaust, drive lines and my monster rear axle but at least now it's in the works.
Don't nun'ya bastards tell my wife how much this really cost! She thinks $500 is completely fair!
You are going to be so damn happy with that Agile kit. It'll be the best $500 you ever spent!

Those waste tank valves need to get moved before you ever go on any kind of trip where you need 4x4. Otherwise, it'll get shitty - quick.

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
I am about fed up with my Quigley Straight Axle 60 in the front of my 97 Van. There is nothing you can do to not make it buck and wander. I feel like I am offroadiing the Calif. freeways. I might be down the TTB path...after a BIG project!

On my 85 van. I ground the front bumper away and cut the front wheel well back about 2" to clear in turns. I am not a body man and it was easy. I used a sharpie where I wanted the rear arch to go and then added 1/2" for the cut. Slowly using a vise grip I bent the bofy panel back to match up with the wheel well that I pushed back also. Scarry, but some tack welds, and paint to the well area made it perfect. You don't even break the paint on the body. Just go slow on a warm day to soften the paint. I did the same to my 97 to fit 33's.

460's can be anemic. Check around to a few builders. It is all about cams and timing. The short block is usually bullet proof.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I've done my fair share of bodywork and metal forming at my shop.

Your right, 460's are anemic, not to mention expensive to build.
I've got 351 Windsor. Doesn't have the grunt that the big block does but it's cheaper to build and parts are available everywhere.
Since I'm overhauling the whole damn van I'll probably do the engine at the same time as the transmission. 400hp long rod on pump gas that still passes smog sound like fun?

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I am about fed up with my Quigley Straight Axle 60 in the front of my 97 Van. There is nothing you can do to not make it buck and wander. I feel like I am offroadiing the Calif. freeways. I might be down the TTB path...after a BIG project!

On my 85 van. I ground the front bumper away and cut the front wheel well back about 2" to clear in turns. I am not a body man and it was easy. I used a sharpie where I wanted the rear arch to go and then added 1/2" for the cut. Slowly using a vise grip I bent the bofy panel back to match up with the wheel well that I pushed back also. Scarry, but some tack welds, and paint to the well area made it perfect. You don't even break the paint on the body. Just go slow on a warm day to soften the paint. I did the same to my 97 to fit 33's.

460's can be anemic. Check around to a few builders. It is all about cams and timing. The short block is usually bullet proof.
The next time you're down this way Ben, give me a call. I'll let you take my van for a spin. The TTB rides like a stock van...except you don't need to slow for the dips.

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
HA!! Thanks Chris. That is like riding someone else's new bike....You will want it!...NOW!
I did the Bilstein shock "upgrade" this week and actually worse than a set of no brain Branded shocks sold by length. It is still too soft to stop a first bump/rebound. There always a second oscillation. I do want to finish my Alum Jeep project. I'll just live with it as I have for 16 years now. Actually 16 years ago it was probably the "good" suspension, but now out dated.

I have driven a buddies TTB conversion....It was great also. SOLD!

·
Premium Member
29,409 Posts
Yeah, i'd say that it surely looks at most
$500 expensive :laughing:

:grinpimp:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Ok, so I asked them to keep my old sway bars and brake bias valves so that I could reinstall them later if I felt the need....

Big fat nope.
This beast drives freaking awesome. It's unbelievable how well mannered it is on the freeway. It's completely planted, tracks curves with only a little input. It's nothing like its former self. I can drive it one finger and it's absolutely predictable. Before it was sawing back and forth and damn near anything would upset it.
I found a few (spots) of interest as well... I don't have the 4wd hooked up yet as the transfer case is still sitting on the floor of my garage but I hit a few bumps and holes at pretty good speed just to get a feel for it. It just mobbed over some shit that I would never had even attempted to tip toe through before.
I have to admit that Agile knows wtf they are doing. Spring rates and shock valving are spot on.
Very pleased to say the least.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts