Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Dana 44 Detroit with 4.56 ring and pinion for cheap locally, the guy said it only had 500 miles on it and he never broke an axle or had anything go wrong, just hated it. So WTF happened to it? Does Eaton rebuild broken ones and sell them? Look at the pictures to see what I’m talking about, both ends are scratched up almost like both shafts snapped. Is this normal? Does anyone have torque specs for the bolts so I can open it up and inspect the teeth?

Also, any ID on the gears is appreciated. The guy said they’re Dana Spicer but from what I’ve read there are good spicer gears and there are cheap imports sold by spicer.

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/9TrGXlF

https://imgur.com/a/9TrGXlF

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fantastic. At least it was cheap. Any info on reassembly? I’d feel a lot better if I could inspect the teeth.

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,255 Posts
Any idea what torque for the bolts? I’m guessing I need red loctite?
It's a cast case half with 5/16 bolts. Just use some common sense. You're way over thinking this. Just zip it back together with your electric impact. Get them tight. Don't break them off. No, you don't need red lock-tite. Put it on there if you'll sleep better.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So the teeth are fine but these little plates are broken. Nothing goes in between them, right? Any idea what they're called or where to get them?
https://imgur.com/lRsOOTh

Edit: looks like thrust blocks or preload dampers. Anyone know where to get a cheap set?

Edit 2: I'm seeing a lot of different part numbers online and three different part numbers for this over at justdifferentials.com. DET70760, DET70761, and DET70762. The ones in my locker look identical...they are the same part, right? Soooo I need two DET70760 for $24/each? I called them but they're closed.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Only driven 500 miles to church by a little ole lady....:rolleyes:
Fuck no WAY you shoulda fell for that shit:flipoff2:

·
Wheeler
2,780 Posts
Still not as bad as fagbook marketplace

That thing definitely endured an axle explosion .

Probably more than a few people in here have parts lying around for that, you might place an ad in the wanted section

EDIT: You better pull those bearings off and check those collars, I'm pretty sure I can see a crack in one in the pic with the naked eye, that is usually what happens when an axle lets go, if it is cracked just stop and cut your losses right there, because you now have spare parts for the next one .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Still not as bad as fagbook marketplace

That thing definitely endured an axle explosion .

Probably more than a few people in here have parts lying around for that, you might place an ad in the wanted section

EDIT: You better pull those bearings off and check those collars, I'm pretty sure I can see a crack in one in the pic with the naked eye, that is usually what happens when an axle lets go, if it is cracked just stop and cut your losses right there, because you now have spare parts for the next one .
I checked pretty close, I think I know what you're looking at. It looks like a crack from far away but close up it's a perfectly linear gouge. I'm honestly kinda surprised it's not more broken, but hey, it is what it is.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
O.P.
To make ya feel better.... My "fully setup" detroit from the trail mart blew out a ring and pinion on pavement under 1k.
Yes fanboi I know

1 - 20 of 25 Posts