Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
me and the guy's were sitting around the table yesterday eating lunch and started talking about all the guys and gals that try and put there hands or feet out of there ride when they think there about to roll over. WTF are they thinking there going to stop a roll over with there hand????? I have a friend that was coming down a very deep V crack and his jeep slid in to it and just as it did he put his hand out to try and stop the jeep WTF. I yelled at him like he was my youngest son.it turned out o.k but it could of been real bad. I think every time you see one of these people you should take there keys and hide them until you are going home.

let me know if you have ever seen this before. and how it turned out. good or bad. :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I hate to say it but i did it once out at fort hood in that first v noch we used to go through but my j**P was all ready on her side i was just stopin me from hitting the ground had bump on my head any way... i did drive out of it does that count for anything... did the same thing a couple of months later but i had 5points in then not a lap belt ... so it could be said a old dog can learn new tricks :p and i think you were there too ... small world huh . i miss hood ...

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I'll tell ya...I know to keep my hands in, but watched a video of me flopping over once...you could see my hands leave the wheel 2-3 times with that "I can catch it" look on my face....each time they returned to the wheel where they belong, but it's a hard natural reaction to ignore.

I watched a good friend (who shall remain nameless) stick his hand out as his truck tipped towards a rock...his cage came by and he ended up with a busted bone in his hand where it pinched. Very lucky that it was that minor....quite sure he doesn't do that anymore! ;)

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
I see it all the time. Even Rock Racers. It is a natural reaction, I have caught myself doing it. I think the rule on armstraps in the Racing arena is good. There is where you would have started seeing injuries. Last year 4th July on the Rubicon someone got their hand smashed on a roll over. I hear lifeflight runs about $$$$20K nowadays. Yikes.:eek:

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Another good one is when people leave there thumbs inside the steering wheel. Not as disasterous, but it hurts like heck.:skull:

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Ditto... natural instinct to "catch yourself" when falling. Takes time to learn to pull your hand up and roll your body.

I've seen a few minor & few major accidents. One minor was a passenger holding the top of the roll cage. Soft ground, so when his hand was pinched between the cage & ground, minor damage. On rocks he would have lost his hand. :eek: Major being a compound fracture... :(

Racing bodies have long since required window nets, during a roll is hard to keep everything tucked into the car.

Uh.... I would like to say "I never do that"... I was telling someone to NEVER put in the clutch, on a down hill sectin. Just learn to keep your foot off the clutch!, keep on the brakes, and get down the hill nice an' easy. So what happens to me... door kept popping open (distraction), kids in the back saying something, and I "stopped driving" for a split second while I pushed in the clutch and started bouncing all over the place! Thankfully didn't roll, or mess up too badly... but Grass Hopper was there WITH the camcorder. :emb2: DAMN!

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
one word of advice.......SUPERGLUE ! :D

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
woody said:
I'll tell ya...I know to keep my hands in, but watched a video of me flopping over once...you could see my hands leave the wheel 2-3 times with that "I can catch it" look on my face....each time they returned to the wheel where they belong, but it's a hard natural reaction to ignore.
Agreed. I have the, ah pleasure I guess, of having a few of my rolls on on tape. The first one you can plainly see my left hand leave the wheel and then come back. Maybe 3 or 4 times. It's a hard reaction to stop.

However lately I have been more concerned with my passengers than myself, and I usually spend all my time saying "KEEP YOUR HANDS IN THE RIDE!"

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I have done it as well, tried to stoped my 7300lb fj80 from rolling.....it just happens....you start to go over and the hand comes out,I did pull it back and in the end all was fine, two guys jumped on the other side and stoped it. Yeah I felt VERY stupid for sticking my hand out...

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
The three or four times I've been close everything happened so fast that I don't remember what I did! Chances are I put my hand out at least on one of those times, but I don't remember. The other two the Titanic was leaning towards the passenger side and the last time I was desperately trying to use steering (successfully) to keep the beast right side up...

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
green grass hopper said:
let me know if you have ever seen this before. and how it turned out. good or bad. :mad: :mad: :mad:
I once rolled an Acura Integra doing about 45mph off a 75ft embankment towards a river.:eek: The only injury I received was to my finger. I kinda reverted to my Navy flight school helo dunker training where they blindfolded us and dunked us in the water and turned us upside down and we had to get out. They teach to grab a reference point to be able to "feel" the way out. As I rolled towards the river - I still see it in my mind in slow mo!!:( - I grabbed the upper open window frame in case I ended up in the river. Fortunately, I hit a large rock 5 ft from the river's edge that stopped the car. Unfortunately, the frame bent and the car was totalled. Cheap lesson learned about body parts out the window, though!!;)

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
i have rolled a mini baja car many times now (endowed 720 of which 360 was totally in the air, also rolled diagonally over the front tire once and ended up upside down) , those were at fairly high speed (30mph).

I always keep my hands on the wheel, no reaction. I think it is because i heard of a guy getting fingers chopped off reaching out, We run wrist restraints in competition now, but not durring those rolls

:eek:

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Can't blame 'em... natural reaction.. Part of my "passenger brief" (how's that for old military flight training?) is that if you think we're going over, cross your arms over your chest and grab your shirt...

It's fun to see people (who are not big time wheelers) cross their arms when we start to get off-camber.. :D

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Eskimo said:
Can't blame 'em... natural reaction.. Part of my "passenger brief" for ladies (how's that for old military flight training?) is that if you think we're going over, cross your arms over your chest and rip off your shirt.

It's fun to see bewbies (who are not big time wheelers) when we start to get off-camber.. :D
Damn! Sounds like fun, but distracting for the spotter! :)

TGIF!

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
I have been guilty of reaching out several times, and stopping myself quickly......................When Nolen rolled at Moab, I was 2 ft from the drivers side fender, his truck reared violently, and slammed over to his side, the last thing I saw, before the front end blocked my view was his leg and arm sticking out.......................yes I was plenty scared, evindently he pulled them back in just in time.
Must be human nature to try and catch yourself......and you'd think Grog would be way used to going over by now
Butch:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
texican said:
I have been guilty of reaching out several times, and stopping myself quickly......................When Nolen rolled at Moab, I was 2 ft from the drivers side fender, his truck reared violently, and slammed over to his side, the last thing I saw, before the front end blocked my view was his leg and arm sticking out.......................yes I was plenty scared, evindently he pulled them back in just in time.
Must be human nature to try and catch yourself......and you'd think Grog would be way used to going over by now
Butch:flipoff2: :flipoff2:
I remember the look on your face with that..

The story scared me..
:eek:

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Hey Mace I'm burnin' CD's for you right now.....you may have to start dippin' Scoal:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Butch

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
texican said:
Hey Mace I'm burnin' CD's for you right now.....you may have to start dippin' Scoal:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Butch

SWEET!!!!
I was listening to Macon on the way to work this morning ;)

Believe it or not I used to chew cope before I met my wife...

Ever hear the song about Cpoenhagen that Chris Leduc sang (I am sure it was a cover)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts