Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WTF's wrong with my t18 tranny?

Anyone wanna try to diagnose this? The last week or so I've had while in netural or declerating, a high pitched grinding sound. today, it does the following:

pulling up to fuel pump, won't go into 1st, kills, then goes into 1st.

6th & 97 going to stop, loud crack, fishtails. goes into 1st, 2nd & 4th

noise during netural.deceration severly diminished

about martin & eberdeen goes into 3rd

I know I need a replacement tranny, but I'm broke, so how can I keep this one working for the time being?

NQS

·
Registered
267 Posts
I agree clutch isnt fully releasing....also if its starting to have shifting issues change over to the lucas additive, it really makes older t-18/t19's shift sweet. I have seen some that youd swear they needed a new set of synchro's quiet right down and act 100% normal again.

·
Registered
871 Posts
sounds like it needs to be parted out:D I could use some spare sheetmetal:D just giving you a hard time..... sounds like you need a clutch adjustment, its up against throw out bearing....

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jdjanda said:
clutch needs adjustment?
Just checked it. the clutch engages about 1.5-2" from the top, and "firms up" just below even with the brake pedal. seems to me thats within spec?

if not, what is the correct specs.

If i end up having to crawl under that thing i'll have to get loaded up on painkillers, and I'm hoping to avoid that

NQS

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
harkinoff said:
sounds like it needs to be parted out:D I could use some spare sheetmetal:D just giving you a hard time..... sounds like you need a clutch adjustment, its up against throw out bearing....
I've got a radiator cross brace you can have. I've tried selling sheetmetal before, cheap scout owners think my prices are way too high. so I try giving them away for free.

usually everything I try to sell ends up at the crushers

Gotta make a list of my current extra parts, put up on ebay

NQS

·
Premium Member
7,671 Posts
NotQuiteSane said:

Just checked it. the clutch engages about 1.5-2" from the top, and "firms up" just below even with the brake pedal. seems to me thats within spec?

if not, what is the correct specs.

If i end up having to crawl under that thing i'll have to get loaded up on painkillers, and I'm hoping to avoid that

NQS
The correct way to adjust it does require crawling under it and pulling the inspection cover. There is a specific clearance between the throwout bearing and the clutch fingers. I can't recall what it is, but the manual also states a pedal height above the floor board as well. You have to mess with the clutch linkage rods (lenghten or shorten) to dail it all in.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TORC said:

The correct way to adjust it does require crawling under it and pulling the inspection cover. There is a specific clearance between the throwout bearing and the clutch fingers. I can't recall what it is, but the manual also states a pedal height above the floor board as well. You have to mess with the clutch linkage rods (lenghten or shorten) to dail it all in.
Anyone got a manual handy? I haven't the slightest idea where mine is.

NQS

·
Registered
871 Posts
NotQuiteSane said:

I've got a radiator cross brace you can have. I've tried selling sheetmetal before, cheap scout owners think my prices are way too high. so I try giving them away for free.

usually everything I try to sell ends up at the crushers

Gotta make a list of my current extra parts, put up on ebay

NQS
didn't I get a fender and hood off you already? and gave your buddy my old 20... hard to remember when that was, think that was after my brain bleed?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
harkinoff said:

didn't I get a fender and hood off you already? and gave your buddy my old 20... hard to remember when that was, think that was after my brain bleed?

yep. and from that scout I parted out those parts, plus heads Tom took a couple years back, were all that didn't goto the crusher.

your 20 ended up in the IHSTO project scout.

Oh, and my tranny seems fine. my rear end, however....
(http://atlas.binderbulletin.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=37258)

NQS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts