Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres whats been happening lately. If i'm cruising down the road at say 50mph and then throw it into neutral & coast to a red light I get a wuring noise. What kind of stuff should I be looking at? Would the rear driveline angle being off a few degress cause this?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
If your inspection reveals nothing, remove your rear drive shaft and go for a drive in 4wd, if the noise stops you know its a u-joint. If not it could be several things like pinion bearing, axle bearing, throw out bearing etc.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It could just be your rear axle gears coasting. I some times hear mine when the back window is open.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had Zuk install the 5.29's & detroit, Napa machine shop press in new dealership axle bearings. Then I changed the pinion angle after the axle set up... then had the Driveshaft lengthened 1.5". so the rear driveline has been a heck of a project lately.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm thinking it's the front U joint. I have stock U joints w/135K and they are operating at high angles b/c I have a Drivetrain lift, and suspension lift. Tomorrow I plan on pulling the Dshaft & checking flanges, lubes, U joints and pinion angles again.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok guys, I pulled the rear Dshaft. The U joints seem fine. they move freely and have no play in them in either direction. the flange on the 3rd member also has no play. The Tcase output flange has IN/OUT play. quite a bit. But it does not have any up/down play.. just in/out. I'd guess about 1/16" of in/out play. is that normal? That is probly the culprit of the noise.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nope, stock V6 Tcase only. I just took it for a spin in 4wd w/out the rear Dshaft and I can hear some noise from the Tcase area. So the problem is in the Tcase. I'm not sure, but I think the V6 Tcase is chain driven. Now what do I do? I know this isn't normal.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got off the phone with Marlin. They said they don't know much about the V6 Tcases. But they did say the flange is NOT supposed to have in/out play. just a bit of up/down play only. They also said I might look into a CV for the Rear Dshaft. I have a 2" drivetrain lift, and 3" Allpro springs & shackles. So my angles are like a 5" suspension lift.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Check the oil level first, fill as needed. You can also drain the oil through a filter and check for metal fillings, it may give you a clue if something is wrong....

Put the truck in neutral and let the truck run idle, with a stetescope listen to the clutch throw out bearing. Move on to other areas, t-case, tranny etc.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, drained the Tcase oil and it was up to level. the drain plug had quite a bit of crap on the magnet. I just got off the phone with Jesse at High angle driveline and he seemed to know exactly the noise I was talking about. He said don't chase the noise, just put a CV driveshaft on it and it'll go away. he said the driveline angles are high/off and causing gear rattle or somin iside the Tcase and or 3rd. my U joint operating angles are 15.5 & 17.5 right now. VERY HIGH! :eek: I changed my Tcase oil 2 months ago when I did the flange seals & nuts. I put some cheap crap in it along with the rear axle for a temporary deal. So I think I need to dump some Redline gear lube in them and get a rear CV shaft.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts