Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone see any reason why you couldn't have the tcase xmember above the tcase, and have mounts that come down to the tcase ?

I am looking at doing it this way as the same xmember can be used more readily for other things like seat mounts and such.

95% of what I've seeh have the crossmember under the tcase, and I am trying to avoid this for clearance and for exhaust/suspension room.

Is there any good reason why this can't be done ?

·
Registered
803 Posts
I have my t-case cross members above the case. It works quite well, opens up clearance for exhaust and other things. I think it also gives you a little more ground clearance, because you can keep your skid plates closer to the cases. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
754 Posts
i dont see any negative effects from having that design. like everthing, put it where it fits. the thing i always have to make sure is, will it be easy to access and remove or whatever with your basic hand tools in a fairly quick amount of time.

jeremy

·
Registered
847 Posts
one problem i can see is that you are now relying on the strength of the threads to support everything, as opposed to it being cradled.

it should still work fine tho.

·
Registered
754 Posts
i think just about every crossmember, both OEM and fabbed, relies on threads in one way or another. the only thing i noticed after i posted, was your specs in your sig. i know you already know this, but build it for the twist that powertrain has. it may need a bit more than others...

jeremy

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well, the mounts I am gonna use will be bushing style mounts, so the bolt holding it will be in double shear, vice using just the threads (I agree, threads alone would be iffy).

And by 'hanging' the tcases, all I have to do to remove them is undo the bushing mounts and drop the tcase out, as opposed to removing the cross member 'cradle' and the tcase.

I will have a smaller cross member under it, but it's only function will be to locate/strengthen the skid plate. I don't want a bent skidplate to affect my drivetrain alignment, so it will mount seperately.

I am also trying to make it easy to modify in the future, as if I decide to go 4 link, I won't have to modify the existing cross member, only make a new one or mounts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think just about every crossmember, both OEM and fabbed, relies on threads in one way or another. the only thing i noticed after i posted, was your specs in your sig. i know you already know this, but build it for the twist that powertrain has. it may need a bit more than others...

jeremy

The twist will hopefuly be limited by the boxed frame and full cage. I have already ditched the idea of using a motor plate because of the potential chassis flex and cracking tranny housings that would result if the engine is solidly mounted.

Plan right now is bushing style motor mounts and bushing style tcase mounts on both tcases.

That way, the drivetrain can flex some without breaking anything (hopefully).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts