Votes: 34 65.4%
  • Tube bed/cage combo

Votes: 18 34.6%
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one should I get first? I just got a paycheck and it may be awhile before the next one. Should I junk my stock bed and make a tube bed/cage combo or should I get highsteer x-over? If I go highsteer, what do you guys like most? Marlin's, Sky's, or OTT's and why?

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
hmmmm, driver/ passanger safty or more vehicle capability? personaly if it is a full body truck with the doors still on i'd prob go with the high steer. i imagine that toyota had some safty built into their design of the cab. i would limit the situations where multiple roll overs are possible. many people drive 75 mph down the freeway with out roll cages and they could drive off the road and roll. personaly, i question the strength of most bolt in cages any way.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
go with skys histeer its the best in the market

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
Go crossover so you don't break the steering. can't drive with no steering but you can drive with a dented bed......

I run Sky's..... if you buy crossover make sure the arms are CNC billet and not CAST. IMO

·
Registered
964 Posts
I say Hi steer too. Makes the truck actually fun to drive, instead of the white knuckling "pull right, veer left" of the old push pull setup. I like Sky's too, it's on my truck. :) But they probably are all very nice pieces. Cast does scare me too a bit... If you got some, have them xrayed for porosity. :)

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
If you've got a decent lift up front with a fair bit of droop and you're running large tires, I'd go x-over first.....especially if you drive on the street. I think the steering breaking is a bigger risk in most cases.

Jay

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
how many sets of cast arms have actually broken.
not that billet isnt obviously better, but just curious.
dont the cast arm have lifetime replacement anyway.

chris can we trade you cast arms for billets?

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
gnob said:

I know of 5 broken arms to date. Three while I was at AP and 2 more working here at Marlin's. There is at least one more but I have not received that pair yet. AP may have received additional arms in the last year that I don't know about either.

We are offering a new set of Billet arms in trade for broken cast arms.

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
gnob said:
....dont the cast arm have lifetime replacement anyway.....?
Hard to get a replacement if it was a fatal failure.... :shaking:

[Hijack]
Does any know if any billet arms have broken/failed?
How about the old school welded arms?
[/Hijack]

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
4RnrRick said:
Hard to get a replacement if it was a fatal failure.... :shaking:
yeah i was trying to stay positive rick :shaking:
youre one of those half empty guys arent you :flipoff2:

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
gnob said:

I have seen two broken arms in about a year and a half, Retodds and one other guys. Out of about 6-7 Thousand (pairs). None since chris left.

And yes. Lifetime Warrenty.

Eric.

·
Vendor
4,164 Posts
Chris Geiger said:
I know of 5 broken arms to date. Three while I was at AP and 2 more working here at Marlin's. There is at least one more but I have not received that pair yet. AP may have received additional arms in the last year that I don't know about either.

We are offering a new set of Billet arms in trade for broken cast arms.
We send everyone to marlin for x-over at this point. Especially since he knows what the dimensions, angles, and what ackerman is. :grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Who cares about steering, grab a couple of spare parts and get a cage built. With the # of recent deaths we have seen(granted, a few there was no hope of survival) protect yourself first... I wish this was the first thing people would invest in....

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
Lexox said:
Make your own damn x-over and you can afford both... :cool2:
i have yet to see a homemade set of cross over steering arms i would trust my life with. most are booty fab. very poor advise

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Izeloz said:
Which one should I get first? I just got a paycheck and it may be awhile before the next one.
I noticed in you're profile that it's for an '85, so the x-over is gonna cost you a lot more - you need an IFS steering box to complete the conversion.

I gotta side w/ Crash on this- buy a good weld up in cab cage kit or find someone to bend one for you. As far as the bed goes, spend $70.00 at Sears for a Saw'sAll and get rid of it... :D

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
camo said:
i have yet to see a homemade set of cross over steering arms i would trust my life with. most are booty fab. very poor advise
i agree,i would only use homemade arms on a trailered rig only.thats for mine and your safety...

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't know what you're talking about with getting rid of the bed with a sawzall...it DOES unbolt, ya know? And I took into account the price of an IFS box and mount for the x-over. I have access to a welder and bender to build the cage/flatbed if I go that route, but it looks like most people voted for x-over, so that's probably what I'll do first.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Yeah, my roomate kinda wishes he prioritized a little different, in fact after being shotgun in it, I kinda wish we had built the cage first. Kinda makes you feel like a lot of wasted time went into building everything else........build a cage, we didnt see it comming and neither will you. Just build a cage in the truck, whole lot cheaper than doing flatbed too. my $.02

Attachments

1 - 20 of 72 Posts