Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a X-over steering to my 79 chevy 1/2ton (with 1 ton axles)...i know that i need a 2wd steering box, but does it matter if the box is from a 3/4ton or 1/2ton??
 

·
A fucking killer
Joined
·
7,803 Posts
Dayswon said:
Doing a X-over steering to my 79 chevy 1/2ton (with 1 ton axles)...i know that i need a 2wd steering box, but does it matter if the box is from a 3/4ton or 1/2ton??
you'll need a 78 and later box, IIRC

the 77 and earlier use different fittings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Zakk... i almost bought a 75 one off ebay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
795 Posts
I also have this problem but my application is going on an 85 chevy 1/2 ton frame so what steering boxes should I be looking at?
 

·
A fucking killer
Joined
·
7,803 Posts
Red Chevy Girl said:
I also have this problem but my application is going on an 85 chevy 1/2 ton frame so what steering boxes should I be looking at?
IIRC, 81 went to metric fittings, so 81-89

ideally, find a 2WD from the same year. that is what i did and there was no issues
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,294 Posts
Red Chevy Girl said:
I also have this problem but my application is going on an 85 chevy 1/2 ton frame so what steering boxes should I be looking at?
I got a box off an older 2wd chevy, 77' maybe. For my 84' when i did x over, and the problem i ran into was My pump was O-ring style fittings and the box was a Flare fitting. i was able to do a little grinding and made it work, and nothing has leaked... But just to be safe, Like stated before get the box close to your same year....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,297 Posts
be aware of the 77 split for input spline count as well
swapping steering boxes is not that easy unless you get the exact same year
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
434 Posts
Copenhagen said:


I got a box off an older 2wd chevy, 77' maybe. For my 84' when i did x over, and the problem i ran into was My pump was O-ring style fittings and the box was a Flare fitting. i was able to do a little grinding and made it work, and nothing has leaked... But just to be safe, Like stated before get the box close to your same year....
They make an adapter fitting I found out.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top