Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried a search which didn't turn up anything but an old post from 2001 when they were just getting on the market. So since then, who has been using them and what do they think of them? The reason I ask is that they are "Buy 3 Get 1 Free" at 4wheel Parts Wholesalers and it seems like a good deal. I am a little leary of the 2 ply side wall though, what do you think?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Between boards i have wrote a speel on x-terrains too many times.. but anyway, here it goes again
I am not saying they are bad tires.. just ones i dont like.
The directional tread is alot different and takes some getting used to. From reading on this board they were designed by bluring a picture of a MT Claw, with siping in the center, and putting on MTR sidewalls.. but changing it enough so that it is indeed different. that shows me that they were not engineered, but insted just put together to "look" good.
I run a set. With my spool in the back, i am ripping the tread blocks off. At the base of each tread block, there is a tear. I dont know if this is normal for a spooled vehicle, but I havent heard of it before. I have 5,000 miles on the tires.
Like i said before, they work different than a non-directional tire, and take alot of getting used to. Honestly they dont impress me, and they cloged up with mud for me about as fast as a bfg all terrain.. actually, the jeep with all terrains got farther than me, but he took a better line.

Its up to you, and where you want to put YOUR money. To each their own, and for each they have their own ideas, and goals with their rigs. So buy what you want.

And i wouldnt worry too much about the sidewalls.. I doubt they puncture much faster than a bfg mt or a mtr.

Garrett

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hick said:
I run a set. With my spool in the back, i am ripping the tread blocks off. At the base of each tread block, there is a tear. I dont know if this is normal for a spooled vehicle, but I havent heard of it before. I have 5,000 miles on the tires.

Garrett
welded rear here I've got a set of 35x15x15 TSl's and a set of 35x15.5x15 TSL/SX'x the sx's are grooved and I haven't ripped any tread blocks off I drive it on the street and of road. I'm not saying that Swampers are the best all around. jsut letting ya know that the rear in my Jeep is locked and not having that problem. :)

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Thats what i figure.. that most people dont have that problem.. which is why i woudl like some swampers on the truck.. but i would actually have to use it more than once every month or two to justify buying them.

Garrett

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
ive got a set of these on my junk. they seem to provide decent traction...but one trip down Barrett Lake last summer did the tread in. major chunking. im heading to the Hammers in a week for the jambo so we will see if i come home on them or something else:D

if Barret chunked 'em....the Hammers will probably destroy them:laughing: :laughing:

<<<<<<<Alex>>>>>>>>>

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
i got some x-terrains and their really quite on the road but mine are wearing pretty fast. I got them with the same by three get one free from 4wheelpart. if i had to do it all over again i would by a set of this board. IMO this board has the best deals i've :flipoff2:

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
We are running the X-Terrains on both of our competition rigs and as anyone knows, we hit the gas pedal as hard or harder than Chris Durham. The CJ has run the SAME tires for a full year of competition...they still have 2/3 tread left and no chunking...that's how well the X-terrains are holding up.
As for the new 37's, we're on our third and final prototype and are stoked with how they are working out. Anyone that gives you this BS about "MT copies" is just pushing rumors and bullshit...Pro Comp has put over 2 years of design and engineering into these tires and CONTINUES to refine them into a better product. They totally outcrawl the other tires in the soft stuff and perform equally on the rocks. We don't do mud, so don't ask us there. These tires are a good buy...Good mileage, good stick, and super important, the best lateral stability of any tire we've tested...

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
RedBullJeep said:
They totally outcrawl the other tires in the soft stuff and perform equally on the rocks. We don't do mud, so don't ask us there. These tires are a good buy...Good mileage, good stick, and super important, the best lateral stability of any tire we've tested...
I would disagree on the crawling aspect of the tires. Up here in the mountains of Colorado, there is a decent ammout of soft soil. I have found that on several different times, I would have to air down almost a full 4 psi to just make it up the same hills as some other folks. These were very steep hills and they had loose soil and small rocks to match. I had to air down to about 8 psi just to get up the hills that the others were doing in 15 psi.

I will admit, this was the only time when I had this problem, but I'm not a hill climber fan either. I don't think they are a bad tire, I just was pissed that the other little pukes were getting up the hill eaiser. Mine had about 4K on them when I sold them to go bigger, they showed little wear and still looked new..

·
Banned
5,372 Posts
RedBullJeep said:
We are running the X-Terrains on both of our competition rigs and as anyone knows, we hit the gas pedal as hard or harder than Chris Durham. The CJ has run the SAME tires for a full year of competition...they still have 2/3 tread left and no chunking...that's how well the X-terrains are holding up.
As for the new 37's, we're on our third and final prototype and are stoked with how they are working out. Anyone that gives you this BS about "MT copies" is just pushing rumors and bullshit...Pro Comp has put over 2 years of design and engineering into these tires and CONTINUES to refine them into a better product. They totally outcrawl the other tires in the soft stuff and perform equally on the rocks. We don't do mud, so don't ask us there. These tires are a good buy...Good mileage, good stick, and super important, the best lateral stability of any tire we've tested...
Not to judge, but did you buy them or did they give them to you?

Gotta support the sponsors you know...

I don't know you so I can't saw you are only supporting the sponsors, but I had to ask

·
Registered
97 Posts
I personally have not had ANY luck at all with Pro-Comp tires. If they are not chunking out, then they are getting holes in the sidewalls. And the worst part of it is that they (at least the store here does not want to honor their warranty

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
Nope, don't work for them, I was just chosen to test tires for them as I have a reputation for trashing shit...they figured if they could hold up to the bashing I give em, then they ought to do well. Also, we are full time into rock crawling, not just hobbyists, so we have more of an opportunity to travel and test the rubber in different regions/conditions and give them our point of view, instead of kiss-ass corporate testing's point of view.
Yes, I have chunked my share of ProComps in years past, but that is equal in comparison with the amount of THIN sidewalls I've blown on BFG's and GoodYear's...they really are tradeoffs. ProComp has worked to develope the new XTC rubber compound to fix the chunking issue and reworked their sidewalls to make them even stronger. These newest tires will be out soon and then is when I say that ProComp tires will become one of the best crawling tires available.
As for how they work in competition...we have never popped a tire and only had 1 chunking issue where we heated the tires to the max burning em for about 7 minutes at 3800 RPM with the back end disengaged and stationary (Bob Roggy took part in this one)...when we let it go and caught a big rock, we broke off a couple lugs...this also had happened on the MTR's and the BFG's in the same type of testing, so it really doesn't show a strength or weakness. Believe me, we've so far tested em all...Swampers/MT's (claws)/BFG's (3 types), and MTRs...all the same size and all in the same conditions.
As for soft stuff, in a comparison with the different tires ON THE SAME RIG, with similar pressures (around 7 is what we run in the CJ), in sand and soft dirt climbs, the X-terrains went an amazing distance farther. They float well yet hook up.
Craig Stumph of UROC even called and commented on how surprised he was about how we were "crawling" the soft stuff at ProRock in Fernley, when the others were trying all RPM's and having little luck. We made soft climb-outs that killed the others...it was the tires.
Finally, I will support all brands equally if someone asks...we are in the sport to promote the sport, not just our partners. This thread asked about X-terrains...I gave the opinion of someone who has more time on those tires than anyone.
If someone had asked about BFG...I would given mediocher reviews of the A/T and M/T, and good reviews of the Krawler...
So to those inferring I am biased as ProComp is a partner...I tell you I promote RedBull and Yes, I drink 3 to 4 cans per day...I ALSO DRINK COKE and LOVE BARQ's RootBeer!

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
RedBullJeep said:
ProComp has worked to develope the new XTC rubber compound to fix the chunking issue and reworked their sidewalls to make them even stronger. These newest tires will be out soon and then is when I say that ProComp tires will become one of the best crawling tires available.
So do you know the anticipated release date of these NEWER compound tires?? I considered these when the TSL's are gone.

·
Registered
162 Posts
eviltwin said:
The reason I ask is that they are "Buy 3 Get 1 Free" at 4wheel Parts Wholesalers and it seems like a good deal. I am a little leary of the 2 ply side wall though, what do you think?
Thanks.
Those 4 wheel parts sales are bullshit. They just jack up the price enough on the tires to make up the difference. If you look around, you can buy a set for cheaper (even with the buy 3 get 1 free sale).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts