Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could You not Out board the Lower arms A litle and do this??
I would think it would increase clearance A lot.
What do you think???

·
Registered
179 Posts
not sure but i would think you would hit the Uni-body or header and limit your uptravel

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Those upper arms and axle side mounts better be beefy as hell, they're gonna take a lot of abuse on the top. The leverage applied (i imagine, I don't have numbers to back it up) will be super high on the upper arm and bend it like a wet noodle right where that lower link would meet the upper arm. You could get around the clearance issues, but you'd need bends and I bet that'd just make the upper arm that much weaker. Just some food for thought, but the idea works. Kinda like and upside down TNT arm....but with different physics applied to the arms.

·
Premium Member
11,120 Posts
That's not a 3-link, it's the same stupid radius arms that most people run.

It'll work but you better brace the shit out of that upper mount, and personally I would be bashing the crap out of that lower arm & joint. And if you outboard it too much you won't be able to turn.

However, you'll also probably end up notching out the unibody rails unless you have the axle side mounts way inboard, or if you have the frame side mounts hang down stupid low.

·
Read Only
VerticalScope Sucks
22,735 Posts
Off the top of my head, I bet you could make it clear... Providing you have enough lift.

But it's a stupid concept. Where's the driveshaft going to be? Below the links... Hammering on it doesn't work too well. I'd rather slide along my links than along my driveshaft. Besides, like said, they're radius arms.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's Why I asked
Didnt think of the Driveshaft and such.

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts

A radius arm suspension is a three link...

It will hit the "frame" even with a decent amount of lift though not a bad idea. Bracing the mounts doesn't matter which way the main arm is, it's still going to see the same forces as a typical LA setup...

·
Registered
3,114 Posts

It will hit the "frame" even with a decent amount of lift though not a bad idea. Bracing the mounts doesn't matter which way the main arm is, it's still going to see the same forces as a typical LA setup...

:shaking:

This should be good.

·
Premium Member
11,120 Posts
OK, in that there are three links, yes. Semantics rule. Now find me any reputable person who calls a radius arm setup by that on a regular basis...partial credit awarded for a "2-link plus panhard". :p

braxton357 said:
Bracing the mounts doesn't matter which way the main arm is, it's still going to see the same forces as a typical LA setup...
Look at the side view of the axle. Now pull the axle forward and make note of the reaction from the link that tries to prevent that motion (and in turns pulls the truck forward). Since the link isn't directly in line with that force, you end up with a torque being applied in addition to the tensile/shear force on the mount. The further away from that force, the greater the torque reaction will be, and the beefier your mount will need to be to handle it.

Typically when the primary (lower) link is mounted in line with the axle center or close to it, that link does a very efficient job at handling all the tensile forces, while the "upper" link controls the rotation of the axle about its centerline (torque reaction from the ring & pinion). In the arrangement above you've effectively raised all that up so that the "upper" mount will be doing a lot more work in pulling the truck forward instead of just keeping the axle wrap under control.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
about time someone sets the story right....

Radius arm + panhard.

If you outboard the frame end link to the exterior of the frame rail, the tires will rub. Pretty much your taking what The N'TH degree's kit radius arms does, but add a joint where the 'lower' meets the 'upper'. The N'TH link is just a welded triangle so to speak with no joint there.

They have theres mounted inside the frame, for clearance. Outboarding makes no sense unless you tuck it into the frame rail like vetteboy said.

Pics

·
Registered
355 Posts
based on some numbers i ran, your force at the intersection of the v will be greater than the force on a normal radius arm set up. its not much but if you can make it clear the "frame" and DS then it will work. it might actually be better since the moment of inertia will be less on your design, thus reducing the "unloading" factor commonly associated with the radius arm setup.

when the torque is applied, granted the mounts are pure beef, all the force will be translated back to the frame instead of the force pushing down on the arm, which is attached to the frame. the xmember will have to be built as hell, as in any other radius setup because there is only one mount per side. the lower arms will also have to be pretty stout.

i would say go for it, if you can make it work with all that other stuff that is in the way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts