Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(not sure if this goes under noob or here, so i'll take my chances...)

Finally killed my axle shafts in the YJ this weekend:

A guy had some axle shafts from an XJ with him, so i bought them. These have 297's and mine were 260's, so that should help in future.

However, the "new" axle shafts are non-disconnect, and my axle was disconnect. I already have the short shaft installed no-problem, but the long side is a bit more of a problem. I've googled around, but not found what i want.

First, there is some kind of solid ring pressed into the axle tube just inboard of the vacuum housing. Whats it for, and will it just slide hammer out? And secondly, i will have to replace the oil seal for a non-disconnect one. This goes into the diff or inboard of the vacuum housing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Swapping one-piece XJ/YJ axles in place of the two-piece disconnect axles has been covered many times. A little Googling will answere all yohttp://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/ARD30shafts297andSeals/D30shafts297andSeals.htmur questionbes; here's a start:

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did find that write up earlier. Thanks. It deals with using the late model YJ (abs) disco shaft. A good option. However i've been given a long shaft to try and swap in. Straight from the hub to the diff, negating the disconnect altogether. If anyone has ideas on that, i'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Here's a good D30 tech wright-up, including options regarding u-joint swaps and single axle replacements for the disconnect axle.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70422&highlight=vacuum+disconnect
---from above site:

"----And in the disco part, when converting to non-disco. The seal is not a special one from Warn, I ordered the 2 that warn wants, they didn't fit, and why would you need 2?

The correct seal # is 11771, and can be purchased from any parts store for around 7$.---"

"You can lead them to water, but you can't make them drink"

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
well mister rock god this is most definitely not supposed to be posted here :flipoff2:

but in all seriousness i put a seal in my old dana 30 awhile back, leaked at first so i took everything back apart hammered it deeper into place and used rtv sealant. it work like a charm, and it was in a 1990 yj. also i used a straight shaft from a dana 30 from a zj or wj or something like that. One thing to consider is though if this is a daily driver you will be driving with your front axle, this will help to kill gas mileage, short of hubs there isnt much that can be done about that though, only other option is to call quadratec and use their shift linkage kit which allows you to control the vacuum by using a cable shifter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts