Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive choped the top on my xj and am building a cage for it, i have about 3/4 of it done so far, my only concern is i realized last night that the b pillar legs on the cage dont come down on top of the uniframe rails. im using 4by 6 .25 thick plate for the floor plates on it. how concerned should i be about this? if its going to be a problem what would be a good way to remedy it? i was thinking drill thru the plates and bolt another plate under it then tie it into the 1/4 angle thats going to be on my uniframe rails.

kolby

·
Registered
409 Posts
lankchevy said:
i was thinking drill thru the plates and bolt another plate under it then tie it into the 1/4 angle thats going to be on my uniframe rails.

kolby
That's the way to do it. Sandwhich the unibody and then tie it into the "frame". My B pillar comes down directly over the rails, so I didn't have to worry about that, but I did have to do that for the A pillar hoop.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fatwreck said:
That's the way to do it. Sandwhich the unibody and then tie it into the "frame". My B pillar comes down directly over the rails, so I didn't have to worry about that, but I did have to do that for the A pillar hoop.
thanks for the reply, i know its pretty basic but do u have any pics of your a pillar setup? looks like ill have to do my a and b pillars both. what do the cage kits like d+c extreme do with the a pillar? cause if it came down on the rail it would be blocking the brake pedal, do they just leave it?

kolby

·
Registered
409 Posts
I don't have a picture here with me....I'll take one when I get home though.

It comes down offset about 6"-8" from the frame. It's not in the way of the clutch or brake at all. I'm not sure what they give you with the kit, but when we installed mine at D&C we just made two identical plates and sandwhiched the floor. I have to tie it into the frame yet, but the picture will show you what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks, thats almost exactly where my a pillar ended up. ive got some pics i took with a crappy digital camera a few minutes ago of my progress, ill c if i can figure out how to post em up. i WILL be buying a star soon as i recover from a little of the cost of this cage project, had no idea id be spending so much on little stuff like cut off wheels, bolts, paint, and other little stuff.

kolby

EDIT: disk that pics are on screwed up, ill take some more tommarow

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Looking Good. I hope it holds together for you. Why did you leave those small sections of the b-pillar?? Door latch?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya thats the main reason, im still undecided on weither i want to add door bars on the cage and chop it off, or build tube doors. right now im leaning towards door bars tho.

kolby

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I would add Door Bars. I have been in rigs that had them and they are Titties. They really lock you in and give a sense of security. Those stubby pillars are just asking to be torn off on the trail. Plus No offense they look like shit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts